Is the identity I came up with for sin(x) ^ 2 correct?

• Thread starter pro.in.vbdnf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, by using the cofunction, symmetry, and double angle identities, it is possible to show that sin(x) ^ 2 can be written as a function of sin(2x - pi/2), leading to the half-angle formula for sine. There is also a half-angle (or power reducing) identity for cosine, and a similar identity for the square root of cosine. However, it is not possible to express the square root of cosine as a function of cosine alone.
pro.in.vbdnf
I noticed that the graphs of sin(x) and sin(x) ^ 2 are very similar. So I offset sin(x) ^ 2 to exactly match sin(x):
[tex]sin(x) = 2 sin^{2}\left(\frac{x}{2} +\frac{\pi}{4}\right) - 1[/tex]

Is this right, or is it an illusion? I haven't been able to find any identity that this is based on.
If it is right, then:
[tex]sin^{2}(x) = \frac{sin(2x - \frac{\pi}{2}) + 1}{2}[/tex]

Thanks,
pro.in.vbdnf

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is certainly true!

Remember that [tex]sin(2x-\frac{\pi}{2})=-\cos(2x)[/tex]

and therefore, your identity is a rewriting of the half-angle formula.

You have indeed hit on something true. You are exploiting several trig identities. Namely:

Cofunction (for cosine): [itex]\cos(x)=\sin\left( \frac{\pi}{2}-x \right)[/itex]

Symmetry (for sine): [itex]\sin(-x) = \sin(x)[/itex]

Double Angle (for cosine): [itex]\cos(2x)=1-2\sin^2(x)[/itex]

So:

[tex]\frac{\sin \left( 2x - \frac{\pi}{2} \right)}{2}= \frac{-\sin \left( \frac{\pi}{2} - 2x \right)}{2} = \frac{-\cos(2x)+1}{2} = \frac{-(1-2\sin^2x)+1}{2}= \frac{2\sin^2(x)}{2} = \sin^2(x)[/tex]​

Incidently there is also the Half Angle (or Power Reducing) Identity

[tex]\sin^2(x) = \frac{1-\cos(2x)}{2}[/tex]​

which is closely related to what we have here.

--Elucidus

Thanks for your help! The identities I was missing putting together were [tex]sin^{2}(x) + cos^{2}(x) = 1[/tex] and [tex]cos(2x) = cos^{2}(x) - sin^{2}(x)[/tex].

So [tex]cos^{2}(x) = \frac{cos(2x) + 1}{2}[/tex]. I'll have to remember that.

Last edited:
Does that mean [tex]\sqrt{cos(x)}[/tex] has an identity in terms of cos(x)?

pro.in.vbdnf said:
Thanks for your help! The identities I was missing putting together were [tex]sin^{2}(x) - cos^{2}(x) = 1[/tex] and [tex]cos(2x) = cos^{2}(x) - sin^{2}(x)[/tex].

So [tex]cos^{2}(x) = \frac{cos(2x) + 1}{2}[/tex]. I'll have to remember that.

I believe you meant [itex]\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1[/itex]. The latter equation above is the Half Angle (or Power Reducing) Identity for cosine.

pro.in.vbdnf said:
Does that mean [tex]\sqrt{cos(x)}[/tex] has an identity in terms of cos(x)?

I do not think so, but [tex]\sqrt{1 \pm \cos(x)}[/tex] does:

[tex]\sqrt{1+ \cos(x)}=\sqrt{\frac{2(1+\cos(2x/2))}{2}}=\sqrt{2\cos^2(x/2)}=\sqrt{2}\left| \cos(x/2) \right|[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{1-\cos(x)}=\sqrt{2}\left| \sin(x/2) \right|[/tex]​

Both of these are handy for certain types of methods in calculus.

--Elucidus

(Yes, I meant [itex]\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1[/itex].)

Elucidus said:
I do not think so, but [tex]\sqrt{1 \pm \cos(x)}[/tex] does:

[tex]\sqrt{1+ \cos(x)}=\sqrt{\frac{2(1+\cos(2x/2))}{2}}=\sqrt{2\cos^2(x/2)}=\sqrt{2}\left| \cos(x/2) \right|[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{1-\cos(x)}=\sqrt{2}\left| \sin(x/2) \right|[/tex]​

Both of these are handy for certain types of methods in calculus.
What are their names?

By the way, is there a difference between the [tex] and [itex] tags? And is there a way to vertically center the LaTeX images with the text?

1. The itex-tag can be used to generate Latex within the ordinary sentence structures, like the equation: [itex]2x-1=3[/itex], rather than [tex]2x-1=3[/tex]

2. Note that the half-angle formula gets rid of a square root!
Thus, the right-hand side is easily integrated, the left-hand side would seem a hopeless target for integration without that nifty identity.

[tex]\sqrt{cos(x)} = \sqrt{2 cos^{2}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right) - 1}[/tex]
So there is no way to get rid of the right hand radical?

Sure, by squaring both sides. :smile:

..while keeping the left radical? I wonder if there is an identity of the form [tex]\sqrt{cos(x)} = ... cos(x) ...[/tex]?

Related to Is the identity I came up with for sin(x) ^ 2 correct?

1. Is the identity sin(x)^2 the same as (sin(x))^2?

Yes, both notations represent the same function of squaring the sine of x.

2. Can I use sin^2(x) instead of sin(x)^2?

Yes, the notation sin^2(x) is also commonly used to represent the square of the sine function.

3. How do I prove the identity sin(x)^2 = 1/2 - 1/2 * cos(2x)?

You can use the double-angle formula for cosine (cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)) and substitute it into the identity sin(x)^2 = 1 - cos(2x). Then, rearrange the terms to get the desired identity.

4. Can I use this identity for any value of x?

Yes, the identity sin(x)^2 = 1/2 - 1/2 * cos(2x) holds true for all values of x, as long as the function is defined.

5. How can I use this identity in solving trigonometric equations?

By substituting the identity sin(x)^2 = 1/2 - 1/2 * cos(2x) into the equation and simplifying, you can potentially reduce the equation to a simpler form that is easier to solve. This identity is particularly useful in solving equations involving the double-angle formula for cosine.