Is the ketogenic diet a scientifically proven diet?

• Thread starter AchillesWrathfulLove
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of the ketogenic diet in losing weight and whether it is a scientifically proven method. While some studies have shown positive results, others have not found significant differences between a ketogenic diet and a low-fat diet. Additionally, a whole foods based diet that restricts calories and includes exercise can also lead to weight loss. The conversation also mentions the importance of avoiding processed foods and following a plant-based diet for successful weight loss. Ultimately, the key to losing weight is to eat less and exercise more.
AchillesWrathfulLove
Hi guys I am trying to lose weight and wondering if the ketogenic diet is a scientifically proven way of losing weight. I understand that you eat what you want as long as you stay under about 30 grams of carbs per day so that your body can remain in ketosis which is a state of fat burning. I am wondering if this is a true diet, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the only real diet is to just cut back on portion sizes. Stuff like "only eat this or that kind of food" are all hogwash.

Likes russ_watters, Evo and Bystander
phinds said:
I think the only real diet is to just cut back on portion sizes. Stuff like "only eat this or that kind of food" are all hogwash.
While the weight gain for the same amount of calories is similar between different food, some food is linked to higher visceral fat gains and less saciety than others, which makes them really bad for dieting (and health). This page contains some links to research on these differences: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-reasons-why-a-calorie-is-not-a-calorie#section1

AchillesWrathfulLove said:
Hi guys I am trying to lose weight and wondering if the ketogenic diet is a scientifically proven way of losing weight. I understand that you eat what you want as long as you stay under about 30 grams of carbs per day so that your body can remain in ketosis which is a state of fat burning. I am wondering if this is a true diet, thanks in advance.
This study shows that a low-fat and ketogenic diet don't have a statistically significant difference in weight loss. In Table 1 you can find the individual papers that compare ketogenic to low-fat diets. Answering your question directly - yes, ketogenic is a proven way of losing weight, but it doesn't seem that it's any better than the standard low-fat diet (in terms of weight loss). To be honest, I don't think a low-fat diet is any better than a whole foods based diet that just restricts the calories in the same amount, either.

In my experience, a diet that avoids processed foods (pastry, fast food, simple carbohydrates, margarine oils, etc...) with an heavy focus on vegetables, lean meat and fish, along with exercise, can make you lose weight pretty fast. The hardest part for me was the hunger that surges from the calories restriction - but that gets better with time, and it's temporary until you reach your desired weight. Good luck!

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Evo
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945587/
This link is a review of ketogenic diets. Basically there are many studies on ketogenic diets. Some of them, not all, have positive results, meaning patients lose weight.

Plant based diets (vegetarian and lower fat): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466941/
These diets work well most of the time.

Bottom line:
NIH is the gold standard for medical and nutrition studies:
Links from the DASH diet to many of the more or less reasonable diets reported on at NIH, show at least some successes. And/or failures. None are 100% because they are dealing with humans -- considered by nutrition researchers as the worst possible experimental subjects. And some diets have more frequent negative associated outcomes. Therefore, I could bring up 10 other links to other diet strategies.

I geocache with a clinical nutritionist. His point of view is: The more patients remove processed foods from their diets, the more likely any diet scheme will have positive results for that patient. Or. If a food label has more than 5 ingredients, never eat it. (pick a lower number if you like).

AchillesWrathfulLove said:
Eat less do more

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the ketogenic diet?

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that is used to induce a metabolic state called ketosis. This means that the body burns fat for energy instead of carbohydrates.

2. Is the ketogenic diet scientifically proven?

There is a growing body of research that supports the effectiveness of the ketogenic diet for weight loss, managing certain medical conditions, and improving overall health. However, more long-term studies are needed to fully understand its potential benefits and risks.

3. What are the potential benefits of the ketogenic diet?

Some potential benefits of the ketogenic diet include weight loss, improved blood sugar control, increased energy levels, and lower inflammation in the body. It may also have positive effects on certain medical conditions, such as epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, and polycystic ovary syndrome.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with the ketogenic diet?

Some potential risks of the ketogenic diet include nutrient deficiencies, gastrointestinal issues, and a potential increase in cholesterol levels. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting this diet, especially if you have any preexisting medical conditions.

5. Who should avoid the ketogenic diet?

The ketogenic diet may not be suitable for everyone. People who are pregnant or breastfeeding, have kidney disease, or have a history of eating disorders should avoid this diet. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting the ketogenic diet.