Is the Many-Worlds Interpretation Symmetrical?

In summary, Many-Worlds interpretation proposes that information is neither created nor destroyed during a measurement, but rather appears or disappears depending on the formation of superpositions. This can be seen as a shift in the observer's frame of reference within the collection of worlds, but from the perspective of the universal wave function, there is no actual splitting. The conservation of information applies to the total wave function of the universe/multiverse, but may not necessarily apply to information available to a local observer.
nomadreid
Gold Member
The Many-Worlds interpretation tells us where the information “goes” at a measurement. Does it also tell us where the information “comes from” afterward to create the new undetermined state? If it is symmetrical, then does that mean that a measurement is the result of confluence or interference of worlds, which would be the symmetry of the splitting up into many worlds? That is, would a measurement be a node in a network?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, Many-Worlds is symmetrical in that matter. But the flow of the information is different from what you are writing here. After a measurement, fresh information appears; when a superposition forms, information disappears.

Thank you, haael. But I thought that one of the central tenets of quantum mechanics was the conservation of information.:confused:

nomadreid said:
Thank you, haael. But I thought that one of the central tenets of quantum mechanics was the conservation of information.:confused:
One should distinguish information encoded in the total wave function of the universe/multiverse (which is conserved) from information available to a local macroscopic observer (which may not be conserved).

One should distinguish information encoded in the total wave function of the universe/multiverse (which is conserved) from information available to a local macroscopic observer (which may not be conserved).

Thank you, Demystifier. I would be grateful if I could check to see if I understand the distinction. Is the following formulation more or less correct?

In the Many-Worlds Theory the universal wave function is taken over the collection of worlds. An apparent local "collapse" is due to a shift in the observer's frame of reference inside this collection of worlds. In this case, then, information is destroyed or created locally only because of the shift of this frame of reference, so that the wave function "splitting" into many different worlds be only from the point of view of the local observer. From the point of view of the universal wave function, there is no "splitting".

Thanks in advance for any corrections to this.

nomadreid said:
In the Many-Worlds Theory the universal wave function is taken over the collection of worlds. An apparent local "collapse" is due to a shift in the observer's frame of reference inside this collection of worlds. In this case, then, information is destroyed or created locally only because of the shift of this frame of reference, so that the wave function "splitting" into many different worlds be only from the point of view of the local observer. From the point of view of the universal wave function, there is no "splitting".
I don't know what exactly do you mean by "observer's frame of reference inside this collection of worlds", but the spirit of your words above seems essentially correct.

Thanks, Demystifier. Yes, I admit that "observer's frame of reference inside this collection of worlds" was a bit of hand-waving for the simple reason that this is the next thing that I am trying to make precise and to understand. I suppose there is another world in which another nomadreid wrote you a more precise description. Too bad that these worlds don't interact...

1. What is the Many-Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI) is a theory in quantum mechanics that proposes the existence of multiple parallel universes. It suggests that every decision or outcome in our universe creates a new branch of reality, resulting in an infinite number of universes coexisting with ours.

2. How does the MWI explain the concept of symmetry?

The MWI suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event occurs, creating a symmetrical distribution of possible worlds. This means that each universe in the multiverse is equally real and valid, and there is no preferred or special universe.

3. Are there any experiments or evidence that support the MWI?

Currently, there is no direct evidence or experimental confirmation of the MWI. However, the MWI is consistent with all known quantum mechanics experiments and does not contradict any existing physical laws. Some scientists argue that the MWI provides a more elegant and intuitive explanation of quantum phenomena compared to other interpretations.

4. What are the implications of the MWI for our understanding of reality?

The MWI challenges our traditional view of reality and suggests that there are infinite parallel universes where every possible outcome of a quantum event exists. This raises questions about the nature of consciousness, free will, and determinism. It also has implications for fields such as cosmology, philosophy, and ethics.

5. Can the MWI be proven or disproven?

As with any scientific theory, the MWI can neither be proven nor disproven definitively. However, advancements in technology and experiments may provide evidence that supports or refutes the MWI in the future. Additionally, some scientists argue that the MWI is a philosophical interpretation of quantum mechanics rather than a testable scientific theory.