Is the Mathematical Constant e Really Between 2 and 3?

• Thread starter Karlsen
  • Start date
In summary, to show that 2 < e < 3, we first use integration to find that the area under the curve y = 1/t, above y = 0, and between t = 1 and t = 2 is less than 1 square unit. This leads to the conclusion that e < 2. Next, we prove that all tangent lines to the graph of f lie below the graph by showing that f'(t) < 0. From this, we find the equations for the tangent lines T_2 and T_3 at t = 2 and t = 3, respectively. Then, calculating the areas A_2 and A_3 under these tangent lines, we see that A_
Karlsen
I have to carry out a few steps to show that 2 < e < 3. (e as in 2.71828..)

Let f(t) = 1/t for t > 0.

(a)
Show that the area under y = f(t), above y = 0, and between t = 1 and t = 2 is less than 1 square unit. Deduce that e < 2.

This is easy, just integrating and getting ln(2). From graph I see that ln(2) < 1 => e > 2.

(b)
Show that all tangent lines to the graph of f lie below the graph.

Also not very hard; just showing that f'(t) < 0 gives that it's a decreasing function in the interval ]0,inf[, so the tangent lines have negative slopes, hence lies below the graph.

(c)
Find the lines T_2 and T_3 that are tangent to y = f(t) at t = 2 and t = 3, respectively.

I got
T_2: y = (-1/4)t + 1
T_3: y = (-1/9)t + (2/3)

(d)
Find the area A_2 under T_2, above y = 0, and between t = 1 and t = 2. Also find the area A_3 under T_3, above y = 0, and between t = 2 and t = 3.

I got
A_2 = 5/8
A_3 = 7/18

(e)
Show that A_2 + A_3 > 1 square unit. Deduce that e < 3.

OK, so A_2 + A_3 = (5/8) + (7/18) = 73/72 > 1, but I can't see how this leads to e < 3. Any tips or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, sorry. I guess I Didn't think long enough.

int(t=1,t=3, 1/t) > A_2 + A_3 > 1, so ln(3) > 1, hence e < 3. bam!

Related to Is the Mathematical Constant e Really Between 2 and 3?

1. What is the significance of proving 2 < e < 3?

The number e is a mathematical constant that is widely used in various scientific and mathematical fields. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. Proving that 2 < e < 3 is significant because it helps establish the value of e as a number between two well-known and easily understood integers, making it easier to work with in calculations and equations.

2. What is the step-by-step process for proving 2 < e < 3?

The first step is to define the number e as the limit of a specific mathematical sequence. Next, using the definition of a limit, we can show that the sequence converges to a value between 2 and 3. Finally, using the properties of limits and inequalities, we can prove that this value is indeed e and that it falls between 2 and 3.

3. Why is it important to use a step-by-step guide for this proof?

The process of proving 2 < e < 3 involves complex mathematical concepts and techniques. By breaking it down into smaller steps, it becomes easier to understand and follow. This also allows for any mistakes or errors to be identified and corrected more easily.

4. What are some real-world applications of proving 2 < e < 3?

The value of e is used in various applications such as compound interest calculations, population growth models, and radioactive decay equations. Proving that 2 < e < 3 helps establish the validity of these applications and provides a more accurate value to use in calculations.

5. Can this proof be applied to other numbers besides e?

Yes, the same step-by-step process can be used to prove that any given number falls between two other numbers. It is a useful technique in mathematics for establishing the value of a specific number within a range of known values.