Is the Matter-Antimatter Imbalance in Our Universe Just a Simple Anomaly?

• Thread starter brightstar2005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the article discusses the concept of a "micro-universe" and how it can be viewed. It also discusses the hypothetical possibility that the Big Bang may not have created equal amounts of matter and antimatter, and the consequences of this imbalance.
brightstar2005
I came upon an article ANOTHER "SPECIAL" PLACE TO LEAVE FOREVER that you may find interesting.

“The interactions that build one's mind occur somewhere between what we see as macro and micro universe. The elucidation of this “special” place will essentially improve the understanding of nature. The theory of interaction shows that life is a cosmic interaction, which occurs at atomic scales.”
http://articlehub.com/Science/ANOTHER-SPECIAL-PLACE-TO-LEAVE-FOREVER.html

I wonder could it be otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is an article that I really liked. There was some concept right in the middle, talking about the quantum nature of our consciousness, and our place between the macro and quantum...my brain liked that, there was some sort of awakening signal from within me, when I read that. A very nice, soft, Aha.

It is also interesting to notice that Savov's firework universe
is free from singularities and problems associated with appearance of infinity.

Last edited:
From what I read, which was not much because I still have to shower and get ready to go, but it grabbed my interest right off. My only query is how can you see a micro-universe? When I see the prefix 'micro' I think of a tiny micro-organism that can only be seen with a microscope. Hence the prefix 'micro'. How does one view a micro-universe? Just wondering. :smile:

I think that by micro universe are considered the interactions
at atomic and sub-atomic level.

That would make sense.

Sidenote: How different are atomic and sub-atomic interactions in space from the ones on Earth? I know that sounds like a stupid question.

They have not to be different.

I finished reading the article. I'm really glad I had time to finish it. It made some sense in my brain, little because I'm new in physics. Very thought provoking article. Pardon my ignorance, what is antimatter? I've heard it, but I don't know what it means.

Antimatter + matter = A huge amount of energy.

Antimatter is kind of like the opposite of matter. It isn't visible, and I am not sure if its proven to exist but, its there. What it does is combines with matter and they completely annihilate each other, releasing energy according to einstein's famous equation

E = mc^2.

So the energy from 1 gram of antimatter+ 1gram of matter

E = (0.001g)(9 x 10^16) = 9x10^13 = 90000000000000 Joules of energy.

:bugeye: Wow that's a lot.

By the way, welcome to PF. Glad to have you here.:smile:

whozum said:
Antimatter + matter = A huge amount of energy.

Antimatter is kind of like the opposite of matter. It isn't visible, and I am not sure if its proven to exist but, its there. What it does is combines with matter and they completely annihilate each other, releasing energy according to einstein's famous equation

E = mc^2.

So the energy from 1 gram of antimatter+ 1gram of matter

E = (0.001g)(9 x 10^16) = 9x10^13 = 90000000000000 Joules of energy.
Yes antimatter is not only real, it is produced every day on purpose to do PET scans on people with medical problems. It is created spontaneously all around us as particle-antiparticle pairs arise in the quantuum vacuum. The Athena project at CERN is attempting to produce stable, electrically neutral antimatter in the form of anti-hydrogen. If you Google these terms, you will find some interesting links.

Antimatter is very real. A really big mystery in cosmology is how the Big Bang, which should have created equal amounts of matter and antimatter, could have resulted in a Universe that is so thoroughly dominated by matter. This is an important question.

So we have come to the consensus it is extremely important. Is there speculation the Big Bang may not have created equalamounts of matter and anitmatter?

The matter - antimatter difference can be explained as a simple anomaly due to quantum fluctuations. You only need about 1 part in 100 million imbalance to create enough matter to account for this universe.

Related to Is the Matter-Antimatter Imbalance in Our Universe Just a Simple Anomaly?

1. What is the current understanding of our place in the universe?

The current understanding is that we are a small planet orbiting around a medium-sized star in a spiral galaxy called the Milky Way. The Milky Way is just one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe.

2. Are we alone in the universe?

The answer to this question is still unknown. While there is currently no evidence of intelligent life on other planets, the vastness of the universe suggests that there may be other forms of life out there. Scientists continue to search for signs of extraterrestrial life through projects like SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence).

3. How do we know the age of the universe?

The age of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years old. This information comes from studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By measuring the temperature and density of this radiation, scientists can calculate the age of the universe.

4. What is the role of humanity in the universe?

As far as we know, humanity is the only species capable of understanding and studying the universe. Our curiosity and drive to explore have led to many breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe. Our role is to continue to learn and explore, and to use that knowledge to better the world we live in.

5. How does our place in the universe impact our daily lives?

While our place in the universe may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, it has a profound impact on our daily lives. The laws of physics that govern the universe also govern our daily experiences. Our understanding of the universe has also led to advancements in technology, medicine, and other areas that greatly benefit our lives.