Is the Momentum of EM Radiation Influencing Electron Behavior?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter k9b4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
k9b4
Messages
109
Reaction score
2
Is the momentum of EM radiation due to the EM radiation applying a force on the electrons?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
You're probably thinking of something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering
I don't think that's what I'm thinking of.

I mean:
Light is said to possesses momentum. That means it can push things around right? So I'm asking is the reason light can push stuff around because EM wave pushes electrons?
 
k9b4 said:
I mean:
Light is said to possesses momentum. That means it can push things around right? So I'm asking is the reason light can push stuff around because EM wave pushes electrons?

Yes, that is the basic mechanism by which light (which is electromagnetic radiation) transfers energy and momentum to objects.

But do note the word "basic" - entire books can be and have been written on the interaction of light and matter.
 
Nugatory said:
Yes, that is the basic mechanism by which light (which is electromagnetic radiation) transfers energy and momentum to objects.

But do note the word "basic" - entire books can be and have been written on the interaction of light and matter.
Thanks, basic mechanism is all I wanted.
 
Nugatory said:
Yes, that is the basic mechanism by which light (which is electromagnetic radiation) transfers energy and momentum to objects.

But do note the word "basic" - entire books can be and have been written on the interaction of light and matter.
But hold on, how does EM radiation push objects forward (such as in solar sails)? Isn't the force in EM radiation oscillating perpendicular to the direction of travel?
 
k9b4 said:
But hold on, how does EM radiation push objects forward (such as in solar sails)? Isn't the force in EM radiation oscillating perpendicular to the direction of travel?

An electromagnetic wave has both an electrical and a magnetic component. Both fields are perpendicular to the direction of travel. However, the force exerted by these fields is not in general parallel to the field direction. (google for "Lorentz force").