Is the order of partial differentiation always immaterial for mixed derivatives?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Diophantus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivatives Mixed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Diophantus
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
I am familiar with the standard rule of mixed partial derivatives in that the order in which you partially differentiate dosn't matter. I have just been considering whether the same rule applies if we take f(q,t) say where q=q(t) and we differentiate normally w.r.t t then partially w.r.t q. Is the order of these operations always immaterial in this case too? I can't find a counterexample but I havn't yet got a satisfactory insight into this problem.

Anyone want to enlighten me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial q \partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial q}[/tex] it doesn't matter. All derivatives must exist and be continuous ofcourse.

You could apply the multivariate chain-rule to show it explicitly.
 
Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough. I was wodering if:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial qdt \dt}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\d dt \partial q}[/tex]
always holds for f(q,t).
 
Last edited:
If the these mixed derivatives exist and are continuous, then they're the same.