Equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2

In summary, the mixed second-order partials are equal for any C2 function and this extends inductively to a statement about the kth partials of a Ck function. The notation \partial\alphaf is used in Taylor's theorem to refer to the generic partial derivative of order |\alpha|, regardless of the order of differentiation. However, this does not apply to all possible orders, as there are multiple possibilities for order>2 partials, even when considering mixed partials. This may be an oversight in Folland's wording or a misunderstanding on your part.
NickMusicMan
I know that for any C2 function, the mixed second-order partials are equal, and I see that this should extend inductively to a statement about the kth partials of a Ck function, but I am having trouble figuring out exactly how this works.

For example, take f:ℝ2 → ℝ .

fxxy=fxyy is not true, right?

Folland's Advanced Calculus says that in Taylor's theorem we can use the notation [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]f to refer to "the generic partial derivative of order [itex]|\alpha|[/itex], since the order of differentiation doesn't matter". ([itex]\alpha[/itex] is a multi-index)

But this doesn't make sense to me, considering that there are multiple possibilities for the order>2 partials, even when restricting it to mixed partials. Is this an oversight in Folland's wording, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Physics news on Phys.org
NickMusicMan said:
I know that for any C2 function, the mixed second-order partials are equal, and I see that this should extend inductively to a statement about the kth partials of a Ck function, but I am having trouble figuring out exactly how this works.

For example, take f:ℝ2 → ℝ .

fxxy=fxyy is not true, right?
Yes, that's right- but not really what you are asking. After all, fxx is not the samer as fyy. What fxy= fyx says is that, as long as the derivatives are continuous, the order of the derivatives does not matter.

Folland's Advanced Calculus says that in Taylor's theorem we can use the notation [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]f to refer to "the generic partial derivative of order [itex]|\alpha|[/itex], since the order of differentiation doesn't matter". ([itex]\alpha[/itex] is a multi-index)

But this doesn't make sense to me, considering that there are multiple possibilities for the order>2 partials, even when restricting it to mixed partials. Is this an oversight in Folland's wording, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)
Apparently you are missing the fact that "order" does not mean changing the number of derivatives with respect to the different variables. "yxx" and "xyx" are different orders of the same thing, "yxx" and "xyy" are NOT.

What is the definition of "equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2"?

The equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2 refers to the concept in mathematics where the order of differentiation is greater than 2 and the mixed partial derivatives are equal. In other words, it means that the order in which the partial derivatives are taken does not affect the final result.

Why is "equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2" important?

This concept is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and solve complex problems in mathematics and science. It also helps us understand the relationships between different variables and their rates of change.

What is an example of "equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2"?

An example of this concept can be seen in the heat equation, where the second-order mixed partial derivatives of temperature with respect to both time and position are equal.

How is "equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2" related to physical systems?

This concept is closely related to physical systems because it helps us understand the behavior of variables in these systems, such as temperature, pressure, and velocity. By using this concept, we can model and predict the behavior of these variables in different scenarios.

What are some applications of "equality of mixed partial derivatives of order >2" in real life?

Some real-life applications of this concept include solving problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields where multiple variables are involved. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to calculate color gradients and smooth surfaces.