1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the particle travelling in the direction of greatest increase in temperature

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle travels across a heated plate according to the path f(t) = (t^2, sint) at the time t seconds. The temperature T(x,y) at position (x,y) on the plate is given by T(x,y)= 200E^[-(x^2 + y^2)] degrees Celsius. At time t=pi seconds, is the particle traveling in the direction of greatest increase in temperature on the plate from position (pi^2, 0)? Explain why or why not.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have that at time t=pi the particle's rate of change in temperature is -800(pi^3)e^[-(pi^2+1)] - 400e^[-(pi^2+1)] or -0.479498546
    Also, I found the the gradient of T is the direction of the maximal rate of increase
    so i found that the gradient of T(pi^2,0) = <-400pi*e^(-pi^2), 0>
    But now i dont know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've found that the gradient vector of T is horizontal at (pi^2,0). That only way the particle can be travelling in the direction of greatest temperature increase if if it's tangent vector at t=pi is parallel to the gradient vector. Is it?

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    hmmm okay thankyou:), but im unsure of how to calculate the tangent vector?

thanks for your help

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tangent vector is the vector f'(t).

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    Oh okay:)! So then it wouldn't be parallel to the gradient vector because f'(pi) = <2pi, -1> which is not a multiple of the gradient i calculated. So, the particle isn't travelling in the direction of greatest temperature increase.

Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook