Applied directional derivative problem

In summary, the conversation involves finding the rate of change of temperature at a specific point in a given direction and the use of directional derivatives to solve the problem. The solution involves finding the gradient vector and using the dot product with the correct unit vector u.
EngnrMatt

Homework Statement

The temperature at a point (x,y,z) is given by T(x,y,z)=200e^[−x^(2)−y^(2)/4−z^(2)/9], where T is measured in degrees celcius and x,y, and z in meters.

Find the rate of change of the temperature at the point (0, -1, -1) in the direction toward the point (-2, 1, -4).

Homework Equations

A directional derivative with direction u is equal to ∇f dotted with the unit vector u.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the gradient vector, I got:

∇T = <-400xe^[-x^(2)-y^(2)/4-z^(2)/9], -100ye^[''''], (-400/9)e^['''']>

evaluated at (0,-1,-1), I got ∇T(0,-1,-1) = <0, 69.69, 30.9734>

Now, according to the problem, u = <-2, 1, -4>. This means that |u| = √21, so the answer should be <0, 69.69, 30.9734> dotted with <-2/√21, 1/√21, -4/√21> , which gives me -11.828, but this is apparently not the right answer. I would definitely like some help finding my mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
EngnrMatt said:

Homework Statement

The temperature at a point (x,y,z) is given by T(x,y,z)=200e^[−x^(2)−y^(2)/4−z^(2)/9], where T is measured in degrees celcius and x,y, and z in meters.

Find the rate of change of the temperature at the point (0, -1, -1) in the direction toward the point (-2, 1, -4).

Homework Equations

A directional derivative with direction u is equal to ∇f dotted with the unit vector u.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the gradient vector, I got:

∇T = <-400xe^[-x^(2)-y^(2)/4-z^(2)/9], -100ye^[''''], (-400/9)e^['''']>

evaluated at (0,-1,-1), I got ∇T(0,-1,-1) = <0, 69.69, 30.9734>

Now, according to the problem, u = <-2, 1, -4>. This means that |u| = √21, so the answer should be <0, 69.69, 30.9734> dotted with <-2/√21, 1/√21, -4/√21> , which gives me -11.828, but this is apparently not the right answer. I would definitely like some help finding my mistake.

You are using the wrong vector u. Go back and re-read the question.

1. What is an applied directional derivative problem?

An applied directional derivative problem involves finding the rate of change of a function in a particular direction, rather than just the overall rate of change. This is useful in fields such as physics and engineering where the direction of change is important.

2. How is the applied directional derivative calculated?

The applied directional derivative is calculated using the formula Dvf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) · v, where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient of the function and v is a unit vector in the desired direction.

3. What is the difference between a directional derivative and an applied directional derivative?

A directional derivative is the rate of change of a function in a particular direction, while an applied directional derivative takes into account the direction of change in relation to a specific point. In other words, the applied directional derivative calculates the directional derivative at a specific point, rather than just in a general direction.

4. What are some real-life applications of applied directional derivatives?

Applied directional derivatives are commonly used in fields such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and structural analysis. For example, they can be used to calculate the rate of change of temperature in a particular direction in a given material, or the rate of change of fluid velocity at a specific point in a pipe.

5. How can I use applied directional derivatives in my own research or work?

If your field involves understanding the direction of change in a function, then applied directional derivatives can be a useful tool for analyzing and solving problems. It is also important to have a strong understanding of calculus and vector calculus in order to effectively apply directional derivatives in your work.