Is the Particular Point Topology Compact?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the particular point topology is a topology that is defined to be the collection of all subsets of a space containing every point. It is not a compact topology, and does not hold for all continuous functions from a space to the real numbers.
cragar

Homework Statement

Let X be a set and p is in X, show the collection T, consisting of the empty set and all the subsets of X containing p is a topology on X.

Homework Equations

?
A topology T on X is a collection of subsets of X.
i) X is open
ii) the intersection of finitely many open sets is open
iii) the union of any collection of open sets is an open set.

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I know that X is open. Maybe open doesn't mean the same thing as an open set on the reals.
if X is open. And If I take an intersection of a finite number of sets in T i will get something in T so by definition It will produce an open subset in T. And all my intersections will contain P because P is in every set.
for iii) If I take a union of all the subsets in T I will produce a subset in T containing p. I could not produce something outside of T because i started with sets that were part of
T.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does X contain p? This is the way of telling if X is open in your topology.

so because we know that p is in X , we know that it is open.
Is a topology just a way of defining properties on our weird set.

Well, after a lot of time , it was found that many of the properties that were

usually studied in topology could be defined in terms of open sets: continuity,

compactness,etc. And, yes, by assigning a topology to a set ,we gain the ability

to talk about topological concepts in the set. And with different topologies, we

end up with different topological properties.

A topology T on X is a collection of subsets of X.
i) X is open
ii) the intersection of finitely many open sets is open
iii) the union of any collection of open sets is an open set.
Are you sure you have copied this correctly? You seem to be defining a "topology T" but then don't mention "T" in the definition! But you do talk about "open sets" without defining them.

What is your definition of "open" set? Normally, in General Topology, we define a topology, T, of X as a collection of subsets of X satisfying:
1) X is in T
2) The empty set is in T
3) The union of any subcollection in the T
4) The intersection of any finite subcollection is in the T

We then define a set to be "open" if and only if it is in the collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Are you sure you have copied this correctly? You seem to be defining a "topology T" but then don't mention "T" in the definition! But you do talk about "open sets" without defining them.

What is your definition of "open" set? Normally, in General Topology, we define a topology, T, of X as a collection of subsets of X satisfying:
1) X is in T
2) The empty set is in T
3) The union of any subcollection in the T
4) The intersection of any finite subcollection is in the T

We then define a set to be "open" if and only if it is in the collection.

I thought we define a set U to be open if for every x in U there is an element Ux of T

as above, such that x is contained in Ux , and Ux is in T.

ok thanks for your help guys

Bacle2 said:
I thought we define a set U to be open if for every x in U there is an element Ux of T

as above, such that x is contained in Ux , and Ux is in T.
What do you mean by Ux?

It's been awhile since I took topology, but I remember it the way HallsofIvy said. If a set is in T, it is, by definition, open.

vela said:
What do you mean by Ux?

It's been awhile since I took topology, but I remember it the way HallsofIvy said. If a set is in T, it is, by definition, open.
Yes vela & Halls are correct. In fact the topology described in this problem is called the particular point topology (or included point topology).

SammyS said:
Yes vela & Halls are correct. In fact the topology described in this problem is called the particular point topology (or included point topology).

The particular point topology is the answer to an interesting question.

We know that if K is a compact topological space, every continuous function from K to the reals is bounded.

Now, if X is a topological space such that every continuous function from X to the reals is bounded, must X be compact?

The answer is (surprisingly) no. The counterexample is any infinite set with the particular point topology. The proof is simple and amusing.

Last edited:

1. What is a topology?

A topology is a mathematical concept that defines the properties of a set in terms of its open sets. It describes the structure of a set and how its elements are connected and related to each other.

2. How do you prove that T is a topology?

To prove that T is a topology, you need to show that it satisfies the three axioms of a topology: the empty set and the whole set are both open, any union of open sets is open, and the intersection of any finite number of open sets is open.

3. What is the significance of proving T is a topology?

Proving T is a topology is important because it ensures that the set and its open sets have the necessary properties to be used in topological spaces. This allows for the study of the structure and properties of the set in a more abstract and general way.

4. What are some common techniques for proving T is a topology?

Some common techniques for proving T is a topology include verifying the three axioms directly, using logical equivalences, and showing that T is a subset of a known topology.

5. Can T be a topology on any set?

No, T must fulfill the three axioms of a topology for it to be considered a valid topology. Additionally, the set must have a defined concept of open sets, such as a metric or a basis, for T to be applied.