Is the Planck mass the smallest possible unit of matter?

In summary: However, the graviton has an incredibly short lifetime, so it's unlikely that we'll ever observe it directly. In summary, this thought is not valid.
Archosaur
Hi all,

I'm not new to these forums, but I am new to quantum mechanics. I had a thought that I wanted to throw out there. I'm sure it's nothing new; I just want to find out if I'm way off base or if I'm actually on to something.

The smaller the wavelength of a particle, the higher it's energy, and, more importantly, the higher it's energy density, right?

Well then, wouldn't a small enough quanta have a high enough energy density that it would curve spacetime so violently that it essentially pinches itself off from it?

And then, whether or not such a particle exists, it could not affect anything in our universe, so that would mean, at least, that all the processes that take place in our universe are the product of a system with a smallest (operating) particle.

Is there any validity to this thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
Archosaur said:
Hi all,

I'm not new to these forums, but I am new to quantum mechanics. I had a thought that I wanted to throw out there. I'm sure it's nothing new; I just want to find out if I'm way off base or if I'm actually on to something.

The smaller the wavelength of a particle, the higher it's energy, and, more importantly, the higher it's energy density, right?

Well then, wouldn't a small enough quanta have a high enough energy density that it would curve spacetime so violently that it essentially pinches itself off from it?

And then, whether or not such a particle exists, it could not affect anything in our universe, so that would mean, at least, that all the processes that take place in our universe are the product of a system with a smallest (operating) particle.

Is there any validity to this thought?

Since particles appear to have a point structure, I guess you could say that the density is infinite (since volume is zero). Or alternately, since particles are also waves which are spread out in space, they do not have infinite density nor anything remotely close enough to become a mini black hole.

The Schwarzschild radius (point at which it would become a singularity) of an electron, for example, is 1.353×10^−57m. This is MUCH smaller than the Planck length of 1.616×10^−35 meters (by 22 orders of magnitude). So apparently these two theories do not intersect as you describe.

General relativity and quantum mechanics have quite different experimental domains. In principle, general relativity is valid only down to the Planck mass, 2.1716*10^-8 kg.

Which corresponds to a de Broglie wavelength of

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p} = \frac{h}{(2.1716 \times 10^{-8} \ \text{kg})v} \approx \frac{1}{v} \times10^{-25} \ \text{m}[/tex]

much to small for quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics is generally appropriate where the wavelength is more on the order of the dimensions the system is confined to.

To reconcile quantum theory with gravity, we have to introduce the graviton.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Planck mass the smallest possible unit of matter?

1. What is the smallest particle known to science?

The smallest particle known to science is the atom. Atoms are made up of even smaller particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. However, these are not considered the smallest because they can be broken down into even smaller components.

2. How do scientists prove the existence of the smallest particle?

Scientists use a variety of methods to prove the existence of the smallest particle. This includes experiments using particle accelerators, studying the properties of matter, and analyzing the results of mathematical equations.

3. Why is it important to study the smallest particle?

Studying the smallest particle is important because it helps us understand the building blocks of our universe. By understanding the properties and behavior of these particles, we can gain insights into the fundamental laws of nature and potentially unlock new technologies.

4. Can the smallest particle be divided into even smaller components?

Currently, scientists believe that the smallest particle, the atom, cannot be divided into smaller components. However, new discoveries and advancements in technology may change this understanding in the future.

5. How does the study of the smallest particle relate to other scientific fields?

The study of the smallest particle is interconnected with many other scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. Understanding the smallest particles helps us understand the properties and behavior of matter, which is crucial in various scientific fields and industries. Additionally, advancements in the study of the smallest particle can lead to breakthroughs in other areas of science.