Is the Sequence Defined by x_n+1 = x_n/2 + 1 Bounded Above by 2?

In summary, this sequence is bounded from above by 2 and it's impossible to find an integer N such that x_N>2.
cragar

Homework Statement

Show that the sequence [itex] (x_1,x_2,x_3,...) [/itex]
defined by; Let [itex] x_1=1 [/itex] for each [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]
[itex] x_{n+1}= \frac{x_n}{2}+1 [/itex]
[itex] x_2=\frac{3}{2} [/itex]
Show that this sequence is bounded above by 2; that is prove that [itex] x_n\leq2 [/itex] for all [itex] n\in\mathbb{N} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems weird to me because it doesn't seem like it would be bounded above by 2, I could find some x that was bigger that 2. unless I don't understand the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement that it's bounded from above by 2 means precisely that all terms in the sequence are ≤2. If you can find a term that's >2, then you have proved that it's not bounded from above by 2.

I suggest that you try to determine what the consequences would be if there's an integer N≥2 such that ##x_N>2##.

Last edited:
You can show it by using induction.

okay I should have looked at it closer, it does look like it will stay below 2. so should I try to manipulate it into a form that will work and then use induction. thanks for the replies by the way.

cragar said:

Homework Statement

Show that the sequence [itex] (x_1,x_2,x_3,...) [/itex]
defined by; Let [itex] x_1=1 [/itex] for each [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]
[itex] x_{n+1}= \frac{x_n}{2}+1 [/itex]
[itex] x_2=\frac{3}{2} [/itex]
Show that this sequence is bounded above by 2; that is prove that [itex] x_n\leq2 [/itex] for all [itex] n\in\mathbb{N} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems weird to me because it doesn't seem like it would be bounded above by 2, I could find some x that was bigger that 2. unless I don't understand the question.

You can arrive at a nice contradiction by "going backward".

Suppose there was some k (k > 1) such that [itex]x_k = 2 + \epsilon[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon \geq 0[/itex].

Calculate [itex]x_{k-1}, x_{k-2}[/itex] (observe that they're increasing as you're going backward) and derive the general term [itex]x_{k-r}[/itex]. Prove this by induction (really easy).

Now set [itex]r = k-1[/itex]. What do you get?

Even more easily, using the same approach I detailed you can prove the "forward" case by induction. If you show that [itex]x_k < 2 \Rightarrow x_{k+1} < 2[/itex], you're done.

can I do this. [itex] x_1=1 [/itex] so 1 is less than 2 so the base case is confirmed.
now [itex] 2(x_{n+1}-1)=x_n\leq2 [/itex]
then say that [itex] 2(x_{n+1}-1)\leq2 [/itex]
the divide both sides by 2 and then add the 1 so now we have
[itex] x_{n+1}\leq2 [/itex]
so does this work, kinda seems recursive

cragar said:
can I do this. [itex] x_1=1 [/itex] so 1 is less than 2 so the base case is confirmed.
now [itex] 2(x_{n+1}-1)=x_n\leq2 [/itex]
then say that [itex] 2(x_{n+1}-1)\leq2 [/itex]
the divide both sides by 2 and then add the 1 so now we have
[itex] x_{n+1}\leq2 [/itex]
so does this work, kinda seems recursive
This is a good way to do it. Since you have found one solution, I don't mind telling you another. This is what I had in mind before:

For all n such that ##x_n>2##, we have ##\frac{x_{n-1}}{2}+1<2##, which implies that ##x_{n-1}>2##. So if one term is >2, every one that came before it is too. This contradicts ##x_1\leq 2##.

interesting idea fredrik, thanks to everyone who made a post.

Related to Is the Sequence Defined by x_n+1 = x_n/2 + 1 Bounded Above by 2?

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

2. How do you prove a sequence?

There are a few different methods for proving a sequence. One way is by using mathematical induction, where you show that a statement about the sequence is true for the first few terms and then show that if the statement is true for one term, it is also true for the next term. Another way is by using the definition of a convergent sequence, where you show that the terms of the sequence approach a certain value as the index increases.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms of the sequence approach a certain value as the index increases, while a divergent sequence is one in which the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value and instead either increase or decrease without bound. In other words, a convergent sequence has a limit, while a divergent sequence does not.

4. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, you can either graph the sequence or use a mathematical test, such as the comparison test or the ratio test. These tests involve comparing the given sequence to a known convergent or divergent sequence to determine its behavior.

5. Why is proving a sequence important in science?

Proving a sequence is important in science because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of different phenomena. By studying the patterns and rules of a sequence, we can make predictions about future terms and use this information to make informed decisions and advancements in various fields, such as physics, biology, and economics.