Is the spin statistics theorem a postulate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the controversy surrounding the Pauli exclusion principle and its relationship to spin statistics in quantum field theory. Some argue that it is a necessary assumption for the theory to work, while others believe it can be circumvented through the use of ghost fields and supersymmetry transformations. However, the Spin-Statistics theorem remains a fundamental aspect of the theory and has been confirmed through experimental tests.
Starbug
Hello,

I've read one or two contradictory things about this. I was debating with a bloke recently who intensely disliked the Pauli principle, he seemed to think that something so important to the structure and stability of matter was somehow unsatisfactory if left as an ad hoc postulate. I was under the impression that spin statistics is not a postulate and was in fact derived from the relativistic version of QM. Unfortunately I won't be doing any relativistic QM, so I wonder if anyone here could tell me. Is there an explanation for spin statistics that makes sense, or is the only option the wade through the proof? (Or is it in fact a postulate?)

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a book on this subject: http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/3457.html Don't know how good it is though.

Anyway, a formal and rigorous proof requires knowledge of quanum field theory, which I don't possess, I'm afraid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks James, I may check that book out if I ever find myself with some time.

You can't formulate a self-consistent QFT of fermions without introducing the Pauli exclusion principle. So if we want fermions to be described by QFT (which we do, as it is one of the very few ways of formulating a theory including both relativity and quantum mechanics), we have to have the Spin-Statistics theorem. So it is kind of an assumption (we assume it to make the theory work), but it's an unavoidable one if our starting point is that they should be described by QFT.

Of course, since both QFT and Pauli exclusion stand up extremely well to experimental tests, they are very good assumptions!

Take a look at this thread, where we already had some discussions about that subject.

Hope it helps :wink:

Cya

The assumption in relativistic QFT has to be made that it is a local theory.
That is sort of equivalent to what is usually thought of as point particles
being created by the field.
Then the spin-statistics theorum follows.
Actually, as the early quark model showed, it is easy to circumvent the SS therom
in practice. If color were a completely unobservable degree of freedom, then it would look like quarks were symmetrized spin 1/2 particles.

Ghost fields in QED,QCD & Electroweak (in SM) are virtual particles which circumvent Lüders-Pauli-Schwinger's theorem...

(through supersymmetry transformations,called BRST symmetries).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Ghost fields in QED,QCD & Electroweak (in SM) are virtual particles which circumvent Lüders-Pauli-Schwinger's theorem...

Daniel.

Yes BRST is a little piece of supersymmetry that arises naturally in Yang-Mills theory. Would that the rest of supersymmetry were as natural!

Any constrained system (yes,even the free relativistic spinless particle) can be quantized BRST,even if the ghosts don't appear explicitly in the nonconstrained action.

Really nice piece of theory,my say...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:

Daniel.

Dexter,
Just wondering. Do all ghost particles need to be off mass shell and why ?
I mean does not respecting the spin statistics automatically imply that particles are also virtual ?

marlon

Yes.They can't be in/out states.Not in the SM which is Poincaré invariant.

Daniel.

There are a few subtelties with the spin statistics theorems and loopholes around it, summarized beautifully in PCT, spin and statistics and all that by Wightman/Streater. Its quite technical and I have promptly forgotten a lot of it. But its more or less still the state of the art in terms of mathematical rigor, at least for that particular problem.

1. What is the spin statistics theorem?

The spin statistics theorem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that the spin (intrinsic angular momentum) of a particle determines its statistical behavior. This theorem is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Is the spin statistics theorem a proven fact?

Yes, the spin statistics theorem has been extensively tested and has been shown to be a valid and accurate description of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is considered a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the spin statistics theorem considered a postulate?

The spin statistics theorem is considered a postulate because it is a fundamental principle that cannot be derived from other known laws or principles in physics. It is an assumption that is necessary for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does the spin statistics theorem affect the behavior of particles?

The spin statistics theorem dictates the statistical behavior of particles based on their spin. It states that particles with integer spin (such as photons) follow Bose-Einstein statistics, while particles with half-integer spin (such as electrons) follow Fermi-Dirac statistics. This affects how particles interact with each other and determines their properties and behavior.

5. Are there any exceptions to the spin statistics theorem?

There have been some rare instances where particles seem to violate the spin statistics theorem, such as the anyon particles in two-dimensional systems. However, these exceptions are still being studied and do not invalidate the overall principle of the spin statistics theorem.