Is the U228 Electron Really Faster Than the Speed of Light?

In summary, during a physics class on relativity, it was learned that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, it was later discovered that particles can exceed the speed of light in a medium, known as Cerenkov radiation. Tachyons, theoretical entities, are the only known particles that can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. The concept of relativistic mass, which increases as velocity increases, is now considered outdated and most physicists prefer to only discuss rest mass.
Tom McCurdy
Alright so were in physics class and we are covering relativity and learning that nothing can travel faster then the speed of light. So then a couple weeks later we find out something can. I believe it is called the U228 electron that can travel faster than the speed of light that is realized in Nuclear Power Plants. If anyone has any more information it would be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
As you approach the speed of light your mass will approach zero. You can not have mass and travel faster than the speed of light. The 2 are inversely related to each other. The the U228 electron actually an electron or is it a photon released from an electron returning to its original orbital?

Nautica

I think you're talking about Cerenkov radiation, a blue glow that occurs when a particle (like an electron) exceeds the speed of light in its local medium -- like water. Particles can certainly can go faster than speed of light in a medium. No particles can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, however.

- Warren

Sorry, then.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
A tachyon can travel faster than the speed of light where the E-L equation of motion for a spacetime metric is equal to -1 (I think).

In a nuclear reactor you see Cherenkov radiation as a result of the emitted particle traveling faster than the speed of light in the medium.

Originally posted by chroot
I think you're talking about Cerenkov radiation, a blue glow that occurs when a particle (like an electron) exceeds the speed of light in its local medium -- like water. Particles can certainly can go faster than speed of light in a medium. No particles can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, however.

- Warren

Thanks a lot you got what I was talking about... Cerenkov radiation.

A tachyon can travel faster than the speed of light where the E-L equation of motion for a spacetime metric is equal to -1 (I think).
But tachyons are still purely theoretical entities.

When physicists talk about the speed of light, they usually mean c, the universal constant speed of light in a vacuum. When light goes through an optically dense medium, it still travels at c. The apparent loss of speed is due to repeated scattering by electrons in the medium. The amount of energy required to reach c is theoretically infinite, for any massive object.

I’m trying to remember, does Cerenkov radiation have similarities with sound travel on breaking sound barrier, and after it ?

I know this equation, but what happens when you have zero rest mass, and your speed is c:
[tex]m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} = \frac{0}{\{0}[/tex]
?

Last edited:
Yes, you can draw some parallels between sonic booms and Cerenkov radiation.

And the equation you've listed, the definition of "relativistic mass," does not actually apply to photons. That equation is part of an old (and confusing) pedagogy in which mass gets larger with increasing relative velocity. Most physicists today would prefer to speak of only one kind of mass: rest mass.

- Warren

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Actually, as you approach the speed of light, your relativistic mass will blow up toward infinity. And you still can't travel faster than the speed of light (in a vacuum), regardless of whether your mass is finite or zero.

Mass and velocity are related by the equation:

[tex]m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

cookiemonster

Mass and velocity are not related at all. There is no such equation like the one you have erroneously derived from the expression for relativistic momentum.

Mass is invariant. Please let's not start this whole relativistic mass business again.

Wow GRQC, can you please explain?! I have seen that formula everywhere!

1. What does it mean for something to be faster than the speed of light?

Faster than the speed of light refers to an object or phenomenon moving at a speed greater than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for an object with mass to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further. Additionally, time dilation would occur, making it impossible for an object to reach or exceed the speed of light.

3. What are some theories about faster than light travel?

There are several theories that have been proposed about faster than light travel, such as the Alcubierre drive, which would manipulate spacetime to allow for faster-than-light travel. Other theories involve wormholes, quantum entanglement, and tachyons. However, these theories are still speculative and have not been proven to be possible.

4. Have there been any instances of objects traveling faster than the speed of light?

No, there have not been any confirmed instances of objects traveling faster than the speed of light. However, there have been some reported experiments and observations that have shown particles appearing to travel faster than light, but these have been attributed to experimental errors or limitations of our current understanding of physics.

5. How does the concept of faster than light travel impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of faster than light travel challenges our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and exploration, but it also raises questions about the nature of time and space and the fundamental laws of the universe. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the implications of faster than light travel.