Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the US really better than Mexico?

1. Jul 12, 2006 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

A lot of people try to illegally emigrate from Mexico to the US, but are they really improving their lives?

As an illegal immigrant you start with no money, no house, no job. Not knowing English makes you less employable than somebody who does speak English. Given that it's illegal in many places to hire illegal immigrants, your employers must be rather shady to hire you. Your shady boss also will not even pay you minimum wage since he's already breaking the law by hiring you. Your job will be less safe than a typical American job because there are no safety regulations to follow; complaining to OSHA will only get if you sent back to Mexico. You will probably not get any medical attention when injured because you have no money, no insurance, and you are not covered by medicaid.

Overall this sounds like a horrible life. Is Mexico really that bad?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2006 #2
    Yes, they are.

In some cases yes, in some cases no. Farmers have no one to work for them. They dont necessarily need someone who can speak english, just someone to do work for them.

That's not true. If you work without papers at say, a small business, safety regulations are not an issue. Safety regulations have to be followed no matter who works there, the inspector does not 'skip' places with illegal help. They could get into a lot of trouble if their illegal workers got injured and sued them.

Oh, you should watch the news then. They are taking up too much of hospital resources.

The alternative? A life in mexico where education stops at middle school, the government is corrupt, and you cant work your way to success.

It sure is better, else why would they continue to come here?

4. Jul 12, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

People aren't coming to the US illegally from places like Mexico City or other developed cities in Mexico. They come from the poorer areas of Mexico where it simply is THAT bad, many of which are in hte northern part of Mexico. I mean it's not like people moving from a place like Seattle to find a better life in Vancouver, BC.

5. Jul 12, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, this is very true. Yah they don't have medical insurance... but the hospital can't refuse to treat them... dispite what some people seem to think. The cost is simply incurred by the government directly. What happens is people simply go into the emergency room and the hospital treats them there.

Also, as cyrus said, theres pretty much no way an employer can make a job environent less safe for specific workers without putting himself in danger of being investigated.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  6. Jul 12, 2006 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Can you pull this same scam as an American? Just go in for treatment and never pay for any of it?

7. Jul 12, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes. Emergency rooms can be real madhouses so im not evne sure theres a system in place that even tries to prevent such fraud though.

8. Jul 12, 2006 #7
    No, you will get a bill sent to your house (A DAMN big one if you dont have insurance). A person illegal might get a bill, but how are they going to pay? They wont. So Joe Blow gets stuck with the bill via taxes.

9. Jul 12, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That's if you provide them with accurate information...

10. Jul 12, 2006 #9
    You're not going to just walk out of the hospital without showing them paper work.

11. Jul 12, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh ye of little faith... can probably google the proper documents :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well not exactly, but its no serious guard against fraud, especially in your typical ER.

12. Jul 12, 2006 #11
    Um, yeah. Because you will google fake documents and print them out form your hospital bed. Right.

13. Jul 12, 2006 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I think he means show up in the ER with no identification of any kind and give them a fake name with a strong russian accent.

14. Jul 12, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are Americans without insurance who can't afford to pay either. The same holds true. The hospital will keep sending bills, but it doesn't mean they have the money to pay them. Sometimes, all they ever get paid is $5/month or something that shows the patient is making an effort to pay, but really will never cover the actual costs of care.

The drain on the hospital system in border towns is one of the bigger complaints about illegal immigrants. In some border towns, they're not even moving to the US to stay, just crossing the border for the medical care and crossing back. I don't blame them in the least for trying. When you don't have any medical care closer to home, you'll try anything to save your loved ones. But, there has to be a better way without draining resources from our own citizens...like have Mexico cough up some money to cover the costs of its citizens using our border hospitals if they don't have any place to go within their own country that's comparable.

15. Jul 12, 2006 #14
    There is a hospital in Dallas that is suing the Mexican and other governments for health care for their citizens. I believe they're also suing specific counties within Texas for care provided to the indigents with a last known address there. How thats going to work out, I have no idea. I'll look for the link.

16. Jul 12, 2006 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

My father-in-law travels a lot to archeological digs in Mexico. He has been to a lot of places and I can say that from his experiences, YES they are much better here.

I am going to hold my tongue on the whole issue. Where I lived on Long Island, the illegal worker issue was/is a very hot button topic. You would be very surprised at just how many ways there are to get a free ride if you have the guts to try.

17. Jul 12, 2006 #16

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feel free to illegally immigrate to Mexico and find out. Have you ever even visited a 3rd world country? There's a definite reason 20 million people plus have run accross the border in search of a better life.

On the other note, it is a tragedy what is happening to our public services because of the hordes of illegal immigrants running accross the border and demanding medical attention/social security/citizen's rights. I'm not sure I have the answer to the problem, but I do know something must be done. I personally don't like my tax dollar's going to supporting this illegal community.

18. Jul 12, 2006 #17
    The formal Dutch "grand strategy" on reducing inflow of economic fugitives is to help and take away the reason to flee.

They learned that from the Americans who donated millions to a devastated Western Europe right after the second world war, in a project called the Marshall Plan. One of the reasons: if you help them prosper, they will trade with you and help you prosper.

So does America rememberthat method?

19. Jul 12, 2006 #18

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yeah. Now it's called NAFTA and it's kicking the crap out of us.

20. Jul 12, 2006 #19

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can't just CARRY Mexico's economy, it needs to develop the infrastructure itself... and throwing money at the problem won't help with the corruption possible. Yanking an entire country out of it's "3rd worldness" is no easy task...

21. Jul 12, 2006 #20
    That figures, a bit of a catch22, it seems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?