Is the water pressure below ocean waves constant?

In summary: I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. Water is incompressible for practical purposes. Why is movement at depth necessary to have pressure change?When I asked what precision they wanted on the depth, they more or less automatically answered "1 cm". To which I answered "below what?" This was in a rather large inlet, with waves seldom below half a meter. The answer: "Below sea level". No use in asking any further.
Treva31
If you are stationary say 10m below the ocean surface does the water pressure at your location vary with the waves.

For example:

When a wave crest is above you than means perhaps 12m of water is above you.
Then a few seconds later a trough is above you so only 8m of water is above you.

So you might expect your pressure reading to be going up and down with the waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
What wavelength?

I hadn't considered wavelength. I assumed a water depth very much greater than wavelength and amplitude.

Bystander said:
What wavelength?

wouldn't matter
the point is that the head of water above you is varying depending if it is a peak or trough

Last edited:
I tried to find a graphic that illustrates @davenn 's correct answer. I found this. It's pretty extreme, but the principle applies to all waves, big and small.

buoys.fw.png

Likes davenn
anorlunda said:
I tried to find a graphic that illustrates @davenn 's correct answer. I found this. It's pretty extreme, but the principle applies to all waves, big and small.

View attachment 203791
And what is the wavelength of a tsunami?

The point is that if the pressure at depth varies according to the depth below the peak or trough of surface waves then the water at depth must be moving due to the resulting pressure gradients. If the water at depth is not oscillating back and forth due to this effect, the pressure at depth must not be changing due to the surface waves.

In a shallow water wave, water at depth is indeed moving under the effect of the wave. In a deep water wave this is not the case. It may be surprising, but a tsunami is a shallow water wave.

Last edited:
Likes tech99
jbriggs444 said:
The point is that if the pressure at depth varies according to the depth below the peak or trough of surface waves then the water at depth must be moving due to the resulting pressure gradients.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. Water is incompressible for practical purposes. Why is movement at depth necessary to have pressure change?

I also don't see why wavelength is relevant to the question.

I could understand an argument including the speed of sound in water that pressure oscillations fan out and merge with adjacent crests at very deep depths (the tsunami sensor was 19800 feet deep). But the OP specified only 10m depth.

Likes davenn and berkeman
That reminds me - in the start of the 1980s my research company were hired to do the instrumentation of the collapsed oil platform "Alexander Kielland" before attempting to turn it right side up. I was asked to create a backup system (in the case that the expensive measurement system crashed). The main function of my system was to show the depth of one of the flotation pods.

When I asked what precision they wanted on the depth, they more or less automatically answered "1 cm". To which I answered "below what?" This was in a rather large inlet, with waves seldom below half a meter. The answer: "Below sea level". No use in asking any further. I got a very precise pressure sensor, measured the sensor output frequency, calculated the apparent depth, did some low-pass filtering and presented the answer - they got a number and they were happy.

Back to the original question - is the pressure at, say, 10 m below the surface, independent on the amplitude of the waves on the surface? I still do not know, but my low-pass filter was meant to minimize any such effect. AFAIK, the frequency spectrum of sea waves is in the 0.1Hz - 1Hz band, so my filter could not be all that effective.

@Svein , even sea level (neglecting tides, waves, seasons, and weather) is dynamic, depending on your time scale.:wink:

sea+level.jpg

anorlunda said:
@Svein , even sea level (neglecting tides, waves, seasons, and weather) is dynamic, depending on your time scale.:wink:
Yes, but they were trying to turn it around in a couple of days... Seriously, since the platform was floating in the same water, I was only supposed to inform the turnaround guys of the position of the pod in relation to the current sea level. My take on it was purely as a measurement guy - with the huge size of the platform a precision of half a meter would be more than precise enough.

I have a list of such anecdotes regarding silly requirements - I try to use them sparingly.

Likes anorlunda
jbriggs444 said:
And what is the wavelength of a tsunami?

The point is that if the pressure at depth varies according to the depth below the peak or trough of surface waves then the water at depth must be moving due to the resulting pressure gradients. If the water at depth is not oscillating back and forth due to this effect, the pressure at depth must not be changing due to the surface waves.

In a shallow water wave, water at depth is indeed moving under the effect of the wave. In a deep water wave this is not the case. It may be surprising, but a tsunami is a shallow water wave.
I agree with this reply. A wave is held up by the dynamics of movement, its inertia, and the pressure effect must die out when we get a few wavelengths below the surface. We only see seaweed waving in fairly shallow water. It is rather like the situation when an airliner flies overhead - we are not all crushed by an increase in pressure.

Likes Merlin3189
tech99 said:
I agree with this reply. A wave is held up by the dynamics of movement, its inertia, and the pressure effect must die out when we get a few wavelengths below the surface. We only see seaweed waving in fairly shallow water. It is rather like the situation when an airliner flies overhead - we are not all crushed by an increase in pressure.

An airliner is a poor comparison because air is so compressible.

Of course I can always be wrong. You and @jbriggs444 could be right. I tried looking it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave#Physics_of_waves talks about the motion but not the pressure.

If I had a hollow cylinder, sealed at the base, and anchored to the sea bottom, with a hole in the side just barely deep enough to stay submerged. Its level would go up and down as waves pass (not as high as the waves, but some) but horizontal motion would be blocked. What about pressure in the bottom of that cylinder, constant or oscillatory?

Likes Orthoceras and Merlin3189
anorlunda said:
An airliner is a poor comparison because air is so compressible.

Of course I can always be wrong. You and @jbriggs444 could be right. I tried looking it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave#Physics_of_waves talks about the motion but not the pressure.

If I had a hollow cylinder, sealed at the base, and anchored to the sea bottom, with a hole in the side just barely deep enough to stay submerged. Its level would go up and down as waves pass (not as high as the waves, but some) but horizontal motion would be blocked. What about pressure in the bottom of that cylinder, constant or oscillatory?
The water particles near the surface execute a circular motion as a wave passes, and the tube would alter their motion to an up-and-down one. It seems like a waveguide carrying energy down to the sea floor.

anorlunda said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. Water is incompressible for practical purposes. Why is movement at depth necessary to have pressure change?
The reasoning runs the other way. If there is a pressure difference between the water under the crest and the water under the trough then water will flow under that pressure gradient. If we do not observe such a flow then we can infer the lack of a gradient. We do not, in fact, observe such a flow (for deep water waves).

jbriggs444 said:
The reasoning runs the other way. If there is a pressure difference between the water under the crest and the water under the trough then water will flow under that pressure gradient. If we do not observe such a flow then we can infer the lack of a gradient. We do not, in fact, observe such a flow (for deep water waves).
But the tsunami wave is wide enough that an ocean floor monitor can pick it up? That might make sense.

berkeman said:
But the tsunami wave is wide enough that an ocean floor monitor can pick it up? That might make sense.
Yes. Tsunami waves have huge wavelengths, huge enough that the ocean depth is smaller than the wavelength. Accordingly, they qualify as shallow water waves.

[Mind you, my education in the details of tsunamis is limited to what I could Google up in a few minutes]

Likes berkeman
jbriggs444 said:
Yes. Tsunami waves have huge wavelengths, huge enough that the ocean depth is smaller than the wavelength. They are shallow water waves.
Interesting. Learn something new every dang day here at the PF! :smile:

jbriggs444 said:
If there is a pressure difference between the water under the crest and the water under the trough then water will flow under that pressure gradient.

I feel like I'm being denser than water :nb) because I still don't see it. Yes water does flow under that pressure gradient. Isn't that what causes the circular motions of the molecules in the wave?

I would like a link to a tutorial on the math of the pressure-motion interactions in those water waves. As I said, the Wikipedia article doesn't even talk about the pressure.

anorlunda said:
I feel like I'm being denser than water :nb) because I still don't see it. Yes water does flow under that pressure gradient. Isn't that what causes the circular motions of the molecules in the wave?
Yes, near the surface, water moves in a circular pattern under the wave. But water farther from the surface does not move that much. Otherwise, the energy in a wave of small amplitude and small wavelength in deep water would be enormous.

If you drop a rock off the back end of an ocean liner, it makes waves. That proves that the deep water does not move appreciably.

Likes Crowxe
jbriggs444 said:
Yes, near the surface, water moves in a circle under the wave. But water farther from the surface does not move that much. Otherwise, the energy in a wave of small amplitude and small wavelength in deep water would be enormous.

Ah, thanks @jbriggs444 , now the first light of understanding is beginning to penetrate. That's a clever argument.

I would still like to see the math.

jbriggs444 said:
It may be surprising, but a tsunami is a shallow water wave.

tech99 said:

you are agreeing with incorrect comments, tech99

both these comments are incorrect as anorlunda pointed out with his comments

you cannot compare tsunamis with surficial waves caused by winds etc as you have done, tech99, they are very different beasts

wind etc waves are created at the surface and don't penetrate to any great depth.
The tsunami wave pulse(s) covers the full depth of the water that is in ... why ?
one reason is because they are, in general, created at depth

when a tsunami wave crosses the Pacific Ocean from say, Japan to Hawaii. The wave pulses can be measured at any depth from sea floor to the surface as they pass by

http://itic.ioc-unesco.org/index.ph...n-tsunamis-waves-reach&catid=1340&Itemid=2031

note the very first sentence ...
Once a tsunami has been generated, its energy is distributed throughout the water column, regardless of the ocean's depth.

Dave

davenn said:
you are agreeing with incorrect comments, tech99

you cannot compare tsunamis with surficial waves caused by winds etc as you have done, tech99, they are very different beasts

wind etc waves are created at the surface and don't penetrate to any great depth.
The tsunami wave pulse(s) covers the full depth of the water that is in ... why ?
one reason is because they are, in general, created at depth

when a tsunami wave crosses the Pacific Ocean from say, Japan to Hawaii. The wave pulses can be measured at any depth from sea floor to the surface as they pass by

http://itic.ioc-unesco.org/index.ph...n-tsunamis-waves-reach&catid=1340&Itemid=2031

note the very first sentence ...Dave
Sorry, I was agreeing with the wrong reply! I agree the Tsunami is a long wave where pressure will be felt at the sea bed, but pressure is not felt at the sea bed for the case of "short" waves in "deep" water.

davenn said:
I stand by my comment. A tsunami is a shallow water wave. As you agree.

jbriggs444 said:
But it seems extremely relevant that, as davenn points out, a tsunami wave is created at the ocean floor, not at the surface.

I seem to recall that the surface wave of a tsunami is rather small while out in the far ocean, until it starts interacting with the shallow shelf near land, and this (drag?) causes it to increase in height near land.

Likes davenn
NTL2009 said:
I seem to recall that the surface wave of a tsunami is rather small while out in the far ocean, until it starts interacting with the shallow shelf near land, and this (drag?) causes it to increase in height near land.

exactly, and this is the important point :smile:
that article link I posted yesterday shows how that happens

let's take inputs to the extreme, say the pressure meter is just an inch under the trough hight, and in opposite extreme , presume it's 3km deep. I think it's obvious that whatever going on the water surface won't affect the readings at that depth. So, in your example , there will be fluctuation in pressure but not entirely equal to the wave hight. The deeper you go the less the fluctuation will be , wave length and speed could slightly contribute to the fluctuation value (remember that there's tons of dynamic involved)

jbriggs444 said:
If you are using the term 'shallow', referring to the depth with respect to the wavelength and the amplitude then I agree. The effect that you get with ordinary waves, breaking on a gently sloping beach is the same. The height of a Tsunami wave as it travels over the deep ocean may be very great and the effect on a boat out at sea will be relatively mild at all as the acceleration is very low. The path of the water particles is the same for all deep water waves - vertical circles with a radius that decreases with depth and the shape of the path becomes flattened and the motion is mostly forward and backward rather than up and down. This hyper physics link gives a simple model of a continuous wave. If the water at depth is moving in a closed curve then there must be acceleration and that implies there must be varying force (therefore varying pressure) at depth.

The peakiness of a wave is brought about for high amplitude and also when the water becomes shallow. the speed gets slower for shallow water and the peaks overtake the troughs to make a breaking wave. The water flows backwards in front of the crest and accounts for the draining of water away from the coast just ahead of the breaking tsunami wave.

Likes Pedro Zanotta
Don't forget that tides are also waves. And even seich waves in oceans with one year periods cause seasonal variations (see #9)

Go back to @jbriggs444 posts in this thread. I'm convinced that his is the right explanation, and his reasoning includes the wavelength between crests.

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
If you are using the term 'shallow', referring to the depth with respect to the wavelength and the amplitude then I agree. The effect that you get with ordinary waves, breaking on a gently sloping beach is the same. The height of a Tsunami wave as it travels over the deep ocean may be very great and the effect on a boat out at sea will be relatively mild at all as the acceleration is very low.
FWIW, the vertical displacement due to tsunamis traveling in the deep ocean is typically very small. According to Wikipedia, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami was observed 2 h after the earthquake in deep water with a height of 60 cm. Conservation of wave action/conservation of energy combined with the slowdown in wave group speed caused the tsunami to reach heights of 24+ m as it shoaled.

The path of the water particles is the same for all deep water waves - vertical circles with a radius that decreases with depth and the shape of the path becomes flattened and the motion is mostly forward and backward rather than up and down. This hyper physics link gives a simple model of a continuous wave. If the water at depth is moving in a closed curve then there must be acceleration and that implies there must be varying force (therefore varying pressure) at depth.
The (exponential) decay scale is in terms of wavelengths, so practically speaking it's very difficult to measure the bottom pressure fluctuation due to short/"deep water" waves. By contrast, long/"shallow water" waves are routinely observed with bottom pressure sensors.

Last edited:
olivermsun said:
FWIW, the vertical displacement due to tsunamis traveling in the deep ocean is typically very small.
It's down to the total volume of water displaced, I suppose. If the deep water height is 1m and the wavelength is 1km then it stands on its end when entering shallow water. You can easily get tens of metres of height.
But, apart from the dimensions, the tsunami has to behave the same as small waves breaking on the shore. Water waves are only different at the very small scale, where surface tension dominates (capillary waves) there is no difference in the physics of straight 'gravity' waves.
Having observed many bow waves from ships as they meet a shallow shore, I have noticed the very same effect that tsunamis cause - once launched, the moderate bow wave carries on for a great distance and then peaks as it reaches the beach etc. etc.. Interestingly, the dissipation is not inverse square because the spreading is not over a sphere and it's not even 1/r because the wavefront of an established bow wave is more or less a straight line. I like to think in terms of Huygens construction (personal observation but justified, I think). A tsunami can be generated by a large aperture source like half an island appearing or disappearing so I imagine the source can be looked at as several wavelengths. Hence less dispersion of energy.

Likes Pedro Zanotta
Treva31 said:
If you are stationary say 10m below the ocean surface does the water pressure at your location vary with the waves.

For example:

When a wave crest is above you than means perhaps 12m of water is above you.
Then a few seconds later a trough is above you so only 8m of water is above you.

So you might expect your pressure reading to be going up and down with the waves?
No. It is rather complicated, because you have to include dynamic pressure, and not just the hydrostatic pressure (use Bernoulli's Equation). It's not static, if there are waves, and dynamic pressure comes from the fact that the water is moving and accelerating, which requires forces/pressure. How it behaves depends on the depth of the water. See here, e.g. http://web.mit.edu/2.016/www/handouts/Free-Surface-Waves.pdf

1. What factors affect water pressure below ocean waves?

The water pressure below ocean waves is affected by depth, density of water, and gravity. As depth increases, the weight of the water above exerts more pressure. The density of water also plays a role, as denser water exerts more pressure. Lastly, gravity pulls the water downward, increasing the pressure at greater depths.

2. Is the water pressure below ocean waves the same at all depths?

No, the water pressure below ocean waves is not constant at all depths. As mentioned, the pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above and the force of gravity. Additionally, factors such as temperature, salinity, and ocean currents can also affect water pressure at different depths.

3. How does water pressure below ocean waves affect marine life?

The varying levels of water pressure below ocean waves can have a significant impact on marine life. Some species have adapted to live at certain depths where they can withstand the pressure, while others may be limited to shallower depths. Changes in water pressure due to natural events or human activities can also disrupt the delicate balance of marine ecosystems.

4. Can water pressure below ocean waves be measured?

Yes, water pressure below ocean waves can be measured using specialized instruments such as pressure gauges or sonar technology. These measurements can provide valuable information about ocean conditions and help scientists better understand the effects of water pressure on marine life.

5. How does water pressure below ocean waves differ from pressure on land?

Water pressure below ocean waves is much greater than pressure on land due to the weight of the water above and the force of gravity. For example, at a depth of 10 meters, the water pressure is approximately 1 atmosphere, which is equivalent to the pressure at sea level on land. However, at a depth of 100 meters, the water pressure is about 10 atmospheres, which is equivalent to the pressure at a depth of 1,000 meters on land.