Is There a Formula for Summing 1/n? Exploring the Digamma Function

In summary, the function $\phi$ is defined as $\phi(x) = \frac{d}{d x} \ln x!\ (2)$ and is associated with the digamma function $\displaystyle \phi(x) = \frac{d}{d x} \ln x!\ (2)$.
mathmaniac1
sigma(1/n)

Is there a formula for it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathmaniac said:
sigma(1/n)

Is there a formula for it?

Also note that the infinite series is divergent, and so that can not possibly have a closed form.

Prove It said:
Also note that the infinite series is divergent, and so that can not possibly have a closed form.

The above statement is not quite correct as

sigma n = n(n+1)/2 is divergergent but it has a colsed form

kaliprasad said:
The above statement is not quite correct as

sigma n = n(n+1)/2 is divergergent but it has a colsed form

The FINITE series has a closed form. The INFINITE series does not. There is nothing wrong with what I said.

Why not a formula f(n) such that f(n)-f(n-1)=1/n
Why isn't it possible?

Prove It said:
The FINITE series has a closed form. The INFINITE series does not. There is nothing wrong with what I said.

I am sorry about my statement. I I meant closed form for the finite sum and then as n tends to infinite. My due apologies

mathmaniac said:
Why not a formula f(n) such that f(n)-f(n-1)=1/n
Why isn't it possible?

It is neither algebraically possible to obtain a homogeneous difference equation by symbolic differencing, nor to find an elementary particular solution to attempt the method of undetermined coefficients.

So what we do is write:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{k}=H_n\)

where $H_n$ is the $n$th Harmonic number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Is it possible to figure out whether an inductive formula exists for sigma something?

Do you find a pattern from which you can infer an induction hypothesis?

Looking for a pattern is not easy,how do you know when to stop looking and conclude there is no formula?
I think most series including reciprocals have no formulae,but some have and is it possible to check?

In...

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426.html#post2494

... it has been demonstrated that is...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k} = \phi (n) + \gamma\ (1)$

... where $\phi(*)$ is the digamma function, defined as...

$\displaystyle \phi(x) = \frac{d}{d x} \ln x!\ (2)$

... being...

$\displaystyle x! = \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{x}\ e^{- t}\ dt\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Is There a Formula for Summing 1/n? Exploring the Digamma Function

What is a summation formula?

A summation formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the sum of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the symbol Σ (sigma) and is often used to represent the sum of a sequence of terms.

What is the purpose of a summation formula?

The purpose of a summation formula is to make it easier to calculate the sum of a large number of terms. It allows for the sum to be expressed in a compact form, making it more efficient to calculate and work with.

What is the difference between a summation formula and a series?

A summation formula is a mathematical expression used to calculate the sum of a series of terms, while a series is the actual sum of those terms. In other words, a series is the result of applying a summation formula.

How do you use a summation formula?

To use a summation formula, you first need to identify the given series of terms and the pattern or rule that governs their relationship. Then, you can plug the terms into the formula and simplify to find the sum.

What are some common summation formulas?

Some common summation formulas include the arithmetic series formula (Σn = (n/2)(a + l)), the geometric series formula (Σn = a(r^n - 1)/(r-1)), and the binomial series formula (Σn = (n+1)Ck a^(n+1-k)b^k).