Is there a formula for this gaussian integral

In summary, the formula for the gaussian integral is: $$int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x^4}{e^{-a(x-b)^2}}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{b}}$$
skate_nerd
Is there a formula for this gaussian integral:

$$int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x^4}{e^{-a(x-b)^2}}dx$$

I've tried wikipedia and they only have formulas for the integrand with only x*e^... not x^4e^...
Wolframalpha won't do it either, because I actually have an integral that looks just like that, unknown constants and all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we know that:

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-bx^2}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{b}}$$

Taking some derivatives:

$$\frac{d^2}{db^2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-bx^2}dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^4e^{-bx^2}dx=\frac{3}{4}\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{b^{5/2}}$$

I'm not sure if you can use this for your integral, but it looks possible.

Sorry, but you can't :/

Matterwave's answer is correct!

skate_nerd said:
Is there a formula for this gaussian integral:

$$int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x^4}{e^{-a(x-b)^2}}dx$$

You are basically just asking for the moments of the normal distribution. These are well known:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x^p}{\sigma \sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-(x-\mu)^2 / (2 \sigma^2)} dx= \sigma^p (p-1)! [/tex]
when p is even, and zero when p is odd.

So ##p=4##, ##\sigma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}## and ##\mu = b##, which gives ##\frac{3\sqrt{\pi}}{4 a^{5/2}}## as Matterwave gave.

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry i just don't think that's correct. Try wolframalpha. I know the formulas for the x, x^2, x^3 cases, but not the x^4. But everything up to x^3 agrees with wolframalpha's output, and this formula you guys are giving doesn't look very similar and does not agree.
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x}e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx=b\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x^2}e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx=(\frac{1}{2a}+b^2)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{x^3}e^{-a(x-b)^2}dx=(\frac{3b}{2a}+b^3)\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}$$
There's a pattern here but I can't figure it out.

skate_nerd said:
I'm sorry i just don't think that's correct.

I'm an idiot, I looked up the central moments (and even that's wrong because it should be ##(p-1)!##). The non-central moments are

##\mu##
##\mu^2+\sigma^2##
##\mu^3+3\mu\sigma^2##
##\mu^4+6\mu^2\sigma^2+3\sigma^4##,
for p = 1, 2, 3, and 4. Those should agree with what you have.

Likes 1 person
Ahhh thank you thank you thank you! That works 100%! Man I've been trying to get this formula for a week...I really appreciate it.

The "freshman calculus" way to do this is to integrate by parts:
[tex]u = x^3 \qquad dv = xe^{-x^2}\,dx[/tex]so that
[tex]du = 3x^2 \qquad v = -{1 \over 2}e^{-x^2}[/tex]and now the degree of the polynomial has been reduced by 2.

Now, that is for the case where a and b are 0, but the other cases are really the same. You just have to change variables; then you will have a more complicated polynomial in place of [itex]x^4[/itex], but once you know how to do [itex]\int x^{2k}e^{-x^2}[/itex] you can integrate any polynomial times [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex].

Another clever way to do this integral is to look at the characteristic function for a Gaussian distribution:

$$C(t)\equiv\left<e^{itx}\right>=\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{itx}e^{-(x-\mu)^2/2\sigma^2}$$

You can do this integral by completing the square in the exponential, or by just looking it up. You will find:

$$C(t)=e^{it\mu-\frac{1}{2}t^2\sigma^2}$$

You can expand this function in powers of t, and match it to the expansion of:

$$\left<e^{itx}\right>\approx 1+\left<itx\right>+\frac{\left<(itx)^2\right>}{2}+...$$

If you match the powers of t on both sides, you can get all the general moments of the Gaussian distribution. You can get all the odd ones too, for which the formula I gave earlier would no longer work. This Characteristic function is closely related to the moment generating function, but I'm more familiar with working with these.

1. What is a gaussian integral?

A gaussian integral is a type of mathematical integral that involves the calculation of the area under a gaussian curve, also known as a normal distribution curve. It is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering to model the distribution of random variables.

2. Is there a formula for calculating a gaussian integral?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating a gaussian integral. It is known as the Gaussian Integral Formula and is represented by ∫ e-x2 dx. However, this formula cannot be solved using elementary functions and requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

3. Why is the gaussian integral important?

The gaussian integral is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range. This is crucial in fields such as statistics and physics, where understanding the distribution of data is essential in making predictions and drawing conclusions.

4. Can the gaussian integral be solved by hand?

As mentioned before, the gaussian integral cannot be solved using elementary functions, so it cannot be solved by hand in its exact form. However, there are methods such as numerical integration and the use of special functions that can approximate the value of the integral.

5. How is the gaussian integral used in real-world applications?

The gaussian integral is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in finance to model stock prices, in engineering to analyze data in control systems, and in physics to model the distribution of particles. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate probabilities and determine confidence intervals.