Is there a relation between a soliton and a Goldstone boson?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
phoenix95
Gold Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
23
I am currently reading this notes by t'Hooft, and I realized that a soliton and a Goldstone boson behave in a similar way: Both of them interpolate between the vacua. Keeping in mind Soliton is described classically in the notes(atleast until first few sections in chap1), Is there a relation between a soliton and a Goldstone boson?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. With the sine-Gordon soliton in mind, it can be seen that the states to the right and left of a soliton are the same vacuum states, while a Goldstone boson separates different vacua.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phoenix95
I understand what you meant. moreover the fields that spawns these particle are completely different: Φ is the scalar field in symmetry breaking where as Goldstone bosons follow from broken symmetries. Thanks for the help.