Is There a Theorem Relating Exponential and Trigonometric Functions?

• Thread starter daster
  • Start date
In summary, there is no known result or theorem that states that if a function is of the form y=e^{px}(A\cos (nx)+B\sin (mx)), then it will satisfy the ODE ay'' + by' + cy = 0. However, it is possible to solve the ODE and find the conditions that the coefficients must fulfill in order for the solution to have the given form. This is because the solutions of the ODE can be written as linear combinations of e^(p+qi)x and e^(p-qi)x, which can also be expressed as e^(px)[cos(qx) + B e^(px)[sin(qx)].
daster
I was just wondering if there's a known result or theorem that states if:

[tex]y=e^{px}(A\cos (nx)+B\sin (mx))[/tex]

Then:

[tex]ay'' + by' + cy = 0[/tex]

I don't see why this should be the case, but I read this somewhere and was intrigued.

Physics news on Phys.org
No,in general,that is not true...
Try to do it viceversa...Solve the ODE...And then find the conditions the coefficients need to fulfil,as the solution would have the form u've given.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel.

perhaps you read that e^(px)[Acos(qx) + Bsin(qx)] solves an equation of form

ay'' + by' + cy = 0, where p+qi and p-qi are imaginary roots of the equation

aX^2 + bX + c = 0.

the reason for this is the solutions of this equation are all linear combinations of

e^(p+qi)x and e^(p-qi)x, i.e. of e^(px)[cos(qx) +isin(qx)]

and e^(px)[cos(qx) -isin(qx)], equivalently, of

e^(px)[cos(qx)] and e^(px)[sin(qx)].

I.e. of form Ae^(px)[cos(qx) + B e^(px)[sin(qx)] =

e^(px)[Acos(qx) + Bsin(qx)].

Yeah, I know that the form I posted was the complementary function of the ODE if the auxilary equation produced complex roots, but what I read was stating something generally, which I wasn't too sure about.

i'm just saying you were very close, except you need to take n =m.

Related to Is There a Theorem Relating Exponential and Trigonometric Functions?

1. What is the relationship between exponential and trigonometric functions?

The relationship between exponential and trigonometric functions is that they are both types of mathematical functions used to model and describe various phenomena. While exponential functions are used to represent growth or decay patterns, trigonometric functions are used to describe cyclic patterns such as waves or oscillations.

2. Is there a theorem that connects exponential and trigonometric functions?

Yes, there is a theorem called Euler's formula that relates exponential and trigonometric functions. It states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and cos and sin are trigonometric functions. This formula shows that exponential functions and trigonometric functions are closely related, as they involve the same fundamental constant e and use complex numbers.

3. What is the significance of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving problems involving both exponential and trigonometric functions. It also highlights the fundamental connections between these two types of functions and demonstrates the remarkable symmetry between real and complex numbers.

4. How can Euler's formula be used to simplify calculations?

Euler's formula can be used to simplify calculations involving exponential and trigonometric functions by converting complex numbers to trigonometric form. This allows for easier manipulation and simplification of complex expressions. Additionally, it can also be used to prove identities and solve equations involving both types of functions.

5. Can Euler's formula be extended to other types of functions?

Yes, Euler's formula can be extended to other types of functions, such as hyperbolic functions. In fact, it can be written in a more general form as e^(ix) = cosh(x) + isinh(x), where cosh and sinh are hyperbolic functions. This further demonstrates the versatility and usefulness of Euler's formula in connecting different types of mathematical functions.