Is there a transformation if at all?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of modifying the cross term in the equations Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey = F and Ax2 + B(x + h)(y + k) + Cy2 + Dx + Ey = F. It is noted that if h and k are both 0, then the two equations are equivalent, but otherwise they represent different sets of numbers. The use of primes or subscripts is suggested to differentiate between the two cases.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Consider

Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey = F

What happens if

Ax2 + B(x + h)(y + k) + Cy2 + Dx + Ey = F

The Attempt at a Solution

Does it do anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

Consider

What happens if

Does it do anything?
I'll say yes, but I wouldn't say this is any kind of normal transformation, since you are replacing only some x and y values by x + h and y + k.

Multiply it out and write it in the form

A'x2 + B'xy + C'y2 + D'x + E'y = F'

That should shed some light on the effect of modifying the cross term.

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

Consider

What happens if

Does it do anything?
If what you say is taken literally, it means that

xy = (x + h)(y + k) .

@Sammy

Only if h and k are 0.

@vela, I would but I am moving back to the college and i packed everything and it looked a little tedious. I will get back to that diff and continu thread when I got my stuff set.

@Mark, please come back to my resume thread lol

Also this is just a "theory" before application. I am just going to guess that B(h + k) will get absorbed into the F

So that B(h + k) + F = K?
And so do the other terms get abosrbed.

flyingpig said:
@Sammy

Only if h and k are 0.
So, that means that A, B, C, D, E, F do not represent the same set of numbers in the first equation compared to the second equation.

So, you should use primes or subscripts or some such scheme to differentiate (not in the Calculus sense) the two cases.

1. Is transformation possible in the natural world?

Yes, transformation is a natural process that occurs in living organisms, such as during growth and development. It also occurs in non-living systems, such as through chemical reactions and physical changes.

2. Can transformation occur in non-living systems?

Yes, transformation can also occur in non-living systems through chemical reactions and physical changes, such as phase transitions or changes in state.

3. How does transformation occur in living organisms?

In living organisms, transformation occurs through processes such as DNA replication, protein synthesis, and cell differentiation. These processes involve changes in the genetic material and cell structure, leading to growth and development.

4. What factors can influence transformation?

Transformation can be influenced by various factors, depending on the system in question. In living organisms, factors such as genetics, environment, and nutrition can play a role in transformation. In non-living systems, factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical composition can affect transformation.

5. Is transformation always beneficial?

No, transformation can have both positive and negative impacts. In living organisms, beneficial transformations can lead to growth and development, while negative transformations can result in diseases or mutations. In non-living systems, transformation can have both desired and undesired outcomes, depending on the intended purpose.