Is there a way to calculate this transformation?

wirefree
Namaste & G'day!

Imagine a helicopter view of a Polo ground. It's length & breadth are known.

Screenshot_20240316-165049.png

Now you are seated where the blue dot is. Your view is such:

IMG_2024-03-16-16-48-17-200~2.jpg

How do mathematicians calculate the distance travelled by a ball from the second perspective?

From the top view, this would be trivial.

But now your view is transformed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think of the second prespective in cylindrical coordinates (r,θ). θ is “easy” to determine, r is more difficult. In a perfect world, one could measure the diameter of the ball to determine its distance. There are other experimental techniques, but I am unsure exactly what you are looking for.

Likes wirefree and FactChecker
Suppose the eye-point location is at the center of the polar coordinates (##r_{eye}=0##) and the angle, ##\theta##, of the polar coordinates of the ball are known. The distance to the ball location, ##r##, remains to be determined. Assuming a flat earth, ##r## can be calculated using trigonometry. You would need to know the distance to the tree-line. That tree-line has sides and its distance would require some calculations that depend on the direction.

Likes wirefree
Frabjous said:
I think of the second prespective in cylindrical coordinates (r,θ). θ is “easy” to determine, r is more difficult. In a perfect world, one could measure the diameter of the ball to determine its distance. There are other experimental techniques, but I am unsure exactly what you are looking for.
Here's a view:

Untitled1.png

You see how the perspective view squashes the 160yd width of the polo field.

FactChecker said:
Suppose the eye-point location is at the center of the polar coordinates (##r_{eye}=0##) and the angle, ##\theta##, of the polar coordinates of the ball are known. The distance to the ball location, ##r##, remains to be determined. Assuming a flat earth, ##r## can be calculated using trigonometry. You would need to know the distance to the tree-line. That tree-line has sides and its distance would require some calculations that depend on the direction.

I am interested in following your suggestion. Please annotate as briefly as convenient, Sir.
Untitled2.png