Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a word for the Group with metals, metalloids and non-metals

  1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    I was just wondering what the word is that describes the group of Metals and Non-Metals and Metalloids.

    Hydrogen, Calcium, Carbon are all Elements

    Metals, Metalloids and Non-Metals are all _______

    If there happens to be no such word please comment so.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

    2. Relevant equations

    3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Metals, metalloids, non metals come under elements only. They are different TYPES of elements. As to ur three other questions...I would like to know what u r specifically asking.
  4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    I'm wondering what exactly is the word used to group metals, non-metals and metalloids.
  5. Mar 6, 2012 #4
    The Periodic Table is split into three groups: metals, non-metals and metalloids. Those three groups ARE the periodic table. So the only answer to your fill-in-the-blank is "Elements."
  6. Mar 7, 2012 #5
    But the word "group" in the periodic table is already used (for the vertical columns 1-8).
  7. Mar 7, 2012 #6


    User Avatar

    Perhaps I misunderstand the question:

    Is the answer not simply matter ?
  8. Mar 7, 2012 #7
    Thanks for trying but that's pretty vague, like saying that Toshiba laptops, Mac laptops and Acer laptops are all technology. Perhaps there is no word.
  9. Mar 7, 2012 #8


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    "categories of elements"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Similar Discussions: Is there a word for the Group with metals, metalloids and non-metals
  1. Expanding metals! (Replies: 1)

  2. Metal in Microwaves (Replies: 1)

  3. Metal sphere (Replies: 16)

  4. Density of metal (Replies: 1)