Is there an official name yet for tau Ceti 'f'?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Nik_2213
  • Start date
In summary, a bunch of exo-planets have been named, but there is no official name yet for tau Ceti 'f'. This may be due to uncertainties over its mass and inclination. However, it is estimated that less than 3% of the named exo-planets have been confirmed. Some suggestions for a name beginning with 'f' include "Fairchilde" from Lord Byron and "Thunderchild" due to its potential for auroras and lightning storms. Additionally, there is a possibility that the next generation of telescopes may discover this planet and give it a name beginning with 'f'.
Nik_2213
TL;DR Summary
A bunch of exo-planets have been named: Is there an official name yet for tau Ceti 'f' ??
A bunch of exo-planets have been named: Is there an official name yet for tau Ceti 'f' ??

I've looked in the usual places, doesn't seem to have shown up.

Would this be due to uncertainties over mass, which is still 'Sine(i)' with wide error bars due uncertain inclination ??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nik_2213 said:
A bunch of exo-planets have been named

Less than 3%.

Fair point, though I'd suggest that ~3% of ~4000 (plus as many unconfirmed) is still a 'bunch' rather than, um, a 'bazillion'...

FWIW, what would a likely name be ? Preferably something beginning with 'f'...

"Fairchilde" Neat ! However, given probable naked-eye auroras and massive lightning storms, 'Thunderchild' would seem a better fit...

I spy with my little eye interferometer-linked, multi-mega-mirrored, terrestrial planet finding orbital telescope (Mark II), something beginning with 'f'...

• Haha
Likes Klystron

1. What is tau Ceti 'f'?

Tau Ceti 'f' is a planet that orbits the star Tau Ceti, located approximately 11.9 light years away from Earth. It is considered a potentially habitable exoplanet, meaning it has the potential to support life.

2. Has tau Ceti 'f' been officially named?

No, tau Ceti 'f' has not been officially named yet. It is currently referred to by its letter designation, 'f', which indicates its position in the planetary system.

3. Why hasn't tau Ceti 'f' been given an official name?

The International Astronomical Union (IAU) is responsible for officially naming celestial bodies, including exoplanets. However, they have not yet given tau Ceti 'f' an official name, possibly due to a lack of sufficient data or controversy surrounding the naming process.

4. Are there any proposed names for tau Ceti 'f'?

There have been several proposed names for tau Ceti 'f', including Serenity, Orbis, and Oasis. However, these names have not been officially accepted by the IAU.

5. When will tau Ceti 'f' be given an official name?

It is currently unknown when tau Ceti 'f' will be given an official name. The IAU typically waits for more data and confirmation before officially naming exoplanets. It is possible that tau Ceti 'f' will be given a name in the near future as more research is conducted on its properties and potential for habitability.