Is there any state of matter colder than solid?

In summary: Bose-Einstein condensates, which could be thought of as a "colder" state of matter than an ordinary solid.
Quantum Velocity
I know that Quark-gluon plasma is the hotter state of matter that we know.
Soo is solid the coldest state of matter ?
If there is no so sorry for my stupid brain!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Velocity said:
is solid the coldest state of matter

Not necessarily. First, at least one substance--helium--never forms a solid at ordinary pressures, it stays liquid all the way down to absolute zero.

Second, at cold enough temperatures, some materials can form Bose-Einstein condensates, which could be thought of as a "colder" state of matter than an ordinary solid.

Likes Demystifier
ok thanks for helping

PeterDonis said:
some materials can form Bose-Einstein condensates, which could be thought of as a "colder" state of matter than an ordinary solid.
what is a Bose-Einstein condnsates i seach in google but i don't understand it

Quantum Velocity said:
what is a Bose-Einstein condnsates

Basically it's when a large number of identical bosons (quantum particles with integral spin) are all in the same quantum state; this happens because when one boson is in a given state, the probability for other identical bosons to be in the same quantum state increases.

Quantum Velocity said:
i seach in google

Did you find this page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose–Einstein_condensate

Im just a 13 years old kid i don't understand the wiki stuff unless some one explain it to me.
But thanks u btw!

Quantum Velocity said:
Im just a 13 years old kid

Then you probably don't (yet) have the background knowledge to understand the theory behind Bose-Einstein condensates. If and when you get to the point of studying quantum mechanics in general, you will be in a better position to do so.

Basically Bose-Einstein condensates are supercooled matter in which all atoms are at the lowest energy state.

PeterDonis said:
Then you probably don't (yet) have the background knowledge to understand the theory behind Bose-Einstein condensates
i even still have a hard time with calculus

PeterDonis said:
Not necessarily. First, at least one substance--helium--never forms a solid at ordinary pressures, it stays liquid all the way down to absolute zero.

At a certain pressure range, ##^3 He## is actually liquid at a lower temperature than where it's solid - an exothermic melting by cooling.

hilbert2 said:
exothermic melting
Wow there is a melting by throw alway heat

1. What is the coldest state of matter?

The coldest state of matter is called a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC), which is created by cooling a gas of extremely low density to near absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius). This state of matter was first predicted by Albert Einstein and Satyendra Bose in the 1920s and was experimentally observed in 1995.

2. Is there any matter colder than a Bose-Einstein condensate?

No, a Bose-Einstein condensate is the coldest state of matter that has been observed and studied. It is believed that this is the lowest possible temperature that can be achieved in our universe.

3. Can solids be colder than a Bose-Einstein condensate?

No, solids cannot be colder than a Bose-Einstein condensate. Solids are typically formed at much higher temperatures and can only reach very low temperatures by being cooled down, but they cannot reach the extreme cold of a BEC.

4. How is a Bose-Einstein condensate created?

A Bose-Einstein condensate is created by cooling a gas of atoms to a temperature close to absolute zero. This is typically done using lasers and magnetic fields to slow down and trap the atoms, allowing them to condense into a single, coherent state.

5. What are the properties of a Bose-Einstein condensate?

A Bose-Einstein condensate has unique properties, including the ability of all of its particles to occupy the same quantum state, allowing for quantum phenomena to be observed on a larger scale. It also has extremely low viscosity, making it flow with almost no resistance, and it can exhibit superfluidity, where it can flow without any loss of energy.