Is there any theories that state this?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in philosophy and their desire to learn more about it. They mention specific topics such as Solipsism and Determinism, and ask about theories that state we will never know everything. They also mention "far out" theories such as the idea that we don't really exist. The conversation also touches on the Chaos Theory and the implications of thinking about possible chain of events at a young age.
QuantumTheory
I'm really interested in philosphy now. Especially Solipsism and this one especially:

Determinism is the philosophical proposition that every event, including human cognition and action, is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences. No mysterious miracles or wholly random events occur. If there has been even one indeterministic event since the beginning of time, then determinism is false.

I really want to get a book on more philopshy, as now it seems to be my favorite science. ButI don't have any money, just bought grandt heft auto,a nd my parents sold my car.

anyway

Is there any theories that state we will never know everything?

There's some pretty 'far out' theories such as 'we don't really exist'. I know this can't be disproven, but why do people believe this?

Also, another question:
When I was only 8, I remember asking myself "What would happen if I did go to the beach ..." I wasn't thinking about what would happen there; but rather, the reprocusions that did. I thought of the possible chain of events, however minor, that could alter history forever. For all I know, we could've got in an accident on our way there, or I could've my best friend of my life, who knows. Is there a theory for such?

It still boggles my mind that I thought of the implications of this at such a young age..did anyone here have similar thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Concerning your beach-question, that i very much like the Chaos Theory, thought up by meteorologist Ed Lorenz in the fifties. I don't know if there has been much philosophical thought about that, but it certainly is what you mean.

I can say that there are many theories in philosophy that discuss the concept of determinism. Some of the most well-known theories include hard determinism, which argues that all events are predetermined and humans do not have free will, and soft determinism, which suggests that while some events may be predetermined, humans still have some degree of free will. Other theories include compatibilism, which argues that determinism and free will can coexist, and fatalism, which states that all events are predetermined by a higher power.

In regards to your question about whether there are theories that state we will never know everything, there are certainly philosophical debates on this topic. Some argue that our limited human understanding and cognitive abilities make it impossible for us to ever have complete knowledge of the universe. Others believe that there are limits to what we can know but that we can continue to expand our knowledge through science and exploration.

As for the idea that we don't really exist, this falls under the philosophical concept of solipsism, which suggests that only one's own mind is certain to exist and everything else is uncertain. It is a highly debated and complex theory that has been discussed by philosophers for centuries.

Lastly, your question about the possible chain of events and their implications is a philosophical concept known as the butterfly effect. This theory proposes that small actions or events can have a significant impact on larger events in the future. It is often used in discussions about determinism and free will.

It is not uncommon for people to have existential or philosophical thoughts at a young age. Many philosophers and scientists have been inspired by their childhood musings and have gone on to explore these concepts in depth. So, it is definitely possible that you had similar thoughts at a young age. It just shows that you have a curious and contemplative mind, which is a great quality to have as a scientist or philosopher.

1. Is there any theories that state that humans evolved from apes?

Yes, the theory of evolution by natural selection, proposed by Charles Darwin, states that humans and apes share a common ancestor and have evolved over time through natural selection.

2. Is there any theories that state that the universe began with a Big Bang?

Yes, the Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origins of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding and cooling over billions of years.

3. Is there any theories that state that time travel is possible?

There are various theories that propose the possibility of time travel, such as Einstein's theory of relativity. However, it is still a topic of debate and has not been proven to be possible.

4. Is there any theories that state that there are parallel universes?

There are several theories that suggest the existence of parallel universes, such as the multiverse theory and the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. However, there is currently no definitive evidence to support these theories.

5. Is there any theories that state that consciousness can be explained by science?

There are various theories and hypotheses about consciousness, such as the neural correlates of consciousness and the integrated information theory. However, the nature of consciousness is still a mystery and there is no consensus on a definitive theory to explain it.