Is there anything in our universe that we can't model with a mathematical set?

In summary, the conversation explores the possibility of all aspects of reality, including emotions and consciousness, being modeled and explained through mathematical theories. The participants also question the completeness of mathematics and its ability to accurately model the universe. They discuss the limitations and potential of mathematical modeling and its relationship to proofs and theories.
SeventhSigma
Wondering if this is mathematically feasible.

Space news on Phys.org
Human/animal emotions, the ability to think, free will, etc

Not sure if there's anything else.

Can't emotions be deconstructed into biological functions of the brain, though -- a set of atoms and their intrinsic properties?

If we got all of the atoms and other particles in your body, all particles have the exact same spin and other properties as you have, and we put them all together in the same shape as your body, the same blood pressure etc... gave it the right amount of electric shock,... you think that person would come to life?

I think not. I think there is something else - and I believe it is consciousness (but I might technically be wrong if I have misunderstood what consciousness is).

I don't want to turn this into a philosophy discussion, since consciousness can still be modeled as a physical function of the brain.

I'm just wondering if there is any physical component of reality that can't just be modeled as a function of atoms. Can quantum randomness be modeled as such?

I would rather ask if there is anything non-trivial, which may be modeled as set (it means: not going beyond set theory).

If you insist, that 'model as a set' may be supplemented by other theories, then, of course, you may model flight to the Moon, as a 'set of one rocket' carrying a 'set of three men', following other theories such, that finally N.Armstrong could made a one element set consinsting of a 'one small step'.

No, randomness and stuff uses the normal (Gaussian) distribution from stats.

The maths behind quantum mechanics is vast, and hundreds of maths books have been written for it.

Basically, to answer your question, maths has a huge number of topics, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of important results and theorems which are far more generalised than what we see around us in the world today. From experience, there is nothing that can't be explained by maths.

However, there is no fundamental theory in physics, and we are always finding out new things in maths - i.e. math's is not "complete" (and it never will be) and so we are unable to properly assess whether or not everything in the universe can be explained by mathematical theorems.

xts said:
I would rather ask if there is anything non-trivial, which may be modeled as set (it means: not going beyond set theory).

If you insist, that 'model as a set' may be supplemented by other theories, then, of course, you may model flight to the Moon, as a 'set of one rocket' carrying a 'set of three men', following other theories such, that finally N.Armstrong could made a one element set consinsting of a 'one small step'.

hahaha brilliant

I think accurate modeling is mostly limited to proofs. We can get close with theories, but if the model is 100% accurate, the the theory it is based on becomes a proof. Maybe a different question is, What can we model correctly? and how good is good enough?

1. What is meant by "modeling with a mathematical set"?

"Modeling with a mathematical set" refers to using mathematical equations and principles to represent and describe a phenomenon or system in our universe.

2. Is it possible to model everything in our universe with a mathematical set?

No, it is not possible to model everything in our universe with a mathematical set. Some phenomena are too complex or unpredictable to be accurately represented by mathematical equations.

3. What are some examples of things that cannot be modeled with a mathematical set?

Examples include chaotic systems, such as weather patterns or stock market fluctuations, as well as human behavior and emotions. These are influenced by multiple factors and are difficult to predict using mathematical equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using mathematical models in science?

While mathematical models are useful tools for understanding and predicting natural phenomena, they also have limitations. They rely on simplifications and assumptions, and may not always accurately represent the complexity of the real world.

5. How do scientists address the limitations of mathematical modeling?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical models, experimental data, and observations to build a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. They also continually refine and improve existing models to better represent reality.