Is there such a thing as non-mechanical transport

• Thread starter manicaltransport
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transport
In summary, the conversation centers around the concept of mechanical transport and whether or not it is possible to transport things without the use of mechanical devices. The participants discuss various examples and the implications of using the term "mechanical transport" in political discussions. The conversation also touches on the role of physics in understanding different modes of transport and the limitations of language in accurately describing them.
manicaltransport
Hello, When looking at the simplest definition of mechanical devices, is there a way to transport something non-mechanically? Physics isn't my strong suit, but it seems to me that all transport is mechanical in nature. The phrase 'mechanical transport' comes up a lot in political discussions, what does that phrase mean to those in the physics community?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MT, :welcome:

Lots of stuff can be transported: mass, heat, information, etc. Deep down there's mechanics but I can imagine a telephone conversation doesn't count as mechanical transport for politicians.

Last edited:
Likes bsheikho
Thanks for the quick reply. The phrase 'mechanical transport' is being used in the context of physical movement of person or things. When you hear the phrase 'mechanical transport' does it sound redundant and ignorant of physics? If someone says 'non-mechanical transport' is legal but 'mechanical transport' in a certain area is banned are they talking gibberish in the physics world?

The word legal doesn't appear in physics, so the question is somewhat moot.
My first impression for
manicaltransport said:
'non-mechanical transport' is legal but 'mechanical transport' in a certain area is banned
is that they allow shouting but forbid throwing stones :smile:
But when I apply it to
manicaltransport said:
the context of physical movement of person or things
my translation is: you can walk across and carry things with you. But you can't use a vehicle, a conveyor belt or a pipeline. The wording is inadequate for any purpose, legal or technical. What about wheelchairs, shopping carts, perambulators, roller skates and what have you.

Likes manicaltransport
That is really helpful. The way 'mechanical transport' is being applied is to bikes. The politicians are saying bikes are 'mechanical transport' but paddle boats, all terrain skis, fixed anchor pulley systems etc. are all 'non-mechanical transport'. It sounds as though there is no way they can back that up from a physics standpoint.

I agree. Politicians aren't bound to facts or physical reality, so what can you do ?
The non-mechanical in the examples is physically nonsense.

Likes hsdrop
We run the risk of this thread being closed as 'on territory PF doesn't want to go'. I recognize the bikes from some issue in northern scandinavia that makes me shudder.

Understandably so, I hesitate to use the word bikes as many people have tangent opinions that they like to share. If the thread is closed, private message me additional insights anyone who is interested in sharing.

' Mechanical transport ' is a term sometimes used to describe transport by vehicles powered by an engine .

' Mechanised transport ' is used in a similar way .

Last edited:
Likes Ryan_m_b and manicaltransport
My first thought was a horse.

BoB

Likes Pepper Mint
manicaltransport said:
... is there a way to transport something non-mechanically? ...
Our neurons pass their signals around "non-mechanically". These signals are physically chemical ions.

manicaltransport said:
Hello, When looking at the simplest definition of mechanical devices, is there a way to transport something non-mechanically?
ok first I'm going to say I'm sorry for replying to the post with the first thing that went thru my head but to me it was kind of amusing. get on the edge of a tall bridge and steep off the side. I promise that you will be transported to the ground without any mechanically help.:-p:wink::cool:

Related to Is there such a thing as non-mechanical transport

1. What is non-mechanical transport?

Non-mechanical transport refers to any mode of transportation that does not rely on mechanical systems, such as engines or motors, to move. This can include methods like walking, biking, and horse-drawn carriages.

2. Is non-mechanical transport a viable alternative to traditional transportation methods?

It depends on the specific circumstances and needs. Non-mechanical transport can be a sustainable and eco-friendly option for short distances or in areas with limited access to traditional transportation. However, it may not be practical for long distances or in highly urbanized areas.

3. Are there any benefits to using non-mechanical transport?

Yes, there are several benefits to using non-mechanical transport. It can be a cost-effective option, as it does not require fuel or maintenance costs. It also promotes physical activity and can have positive impacts on health and the environment.

4. What are some examples of non-mechanical transport?

Some examples of non-mechanical transport include walking, running, biking, skateboarding, rollerblading, and using animal-powered vehicles such as horse-drawn carriages or dog sleds. These methods have been used for centuries and are still prevalent in many parts of the world.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using non-mechanical transport?

One potential drawback is that non-mechanical transport may not be as efficient or fast as traditional transportation methods, especially for long distances. It also requires physical effort and may not be suitable for those with disabilities or health conditions. Additionally, it may not be a practical option in inclement weather conditions.