Is there such thing as nothing?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
disregardthat
Science Advisor
Some people reply they can easily imagine there being absolutely nothing. Reality could have never even existed.
the point here is how to you get rid of a empty space.there is nothing to get rid of.
Yes, I agree. Space and time are necessary faculties of the mind, we cannot think as "there" being no space or time. We can imagine empty space, a still timeframe, but we cannot separate us from the notion of space and time.

Last edited:
perhaps you should re read it .theres no playing.you might enjoy it.
or please tell me the mistake i have made word play means nothing

disregardthat
Science Advisor
so as i have pointed out our universe must be expanding into a empty area.
The universe is not expanding into empty area. The observable universe expands at the speed of light. The observable universe at some point for some observer is defined as the area from which something traveling at the speed of light could have had time to reach the observer. This is not the entire universe (which may or may not be infinite) because of inflation, that is, that space itself is expanding, even now. But that does not mean that what's beyond is empty, it's presumably approximately the same as here.

Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
perhaps you should re read it .theres no playing.you might enjoy it.
or please tell me the mistake i have made word play means nothing
something, empty, nothing

These are all words that are very ill-defined (mostly, they're defined in terms of each other), and thus mean nothing when strung together, for example:

"a empty area is the same as nothing"

This is just playing with words. Without defining nothing, you cannot claim that it is the same as empty. The same can be applied to most of your other statements.

Since the topic-at-hand is determining if there's nothing there, you can't define it as such then turn around and use your definition as proof. That's circular logic. Word play.

Yes, I agree. Space and time are necessary faculties of the mind, we cannot think as "there" being no space or time. We can imagine empty space, a still timeframe, but we cannot separate us from the notion of space and time.
the point here is before a universe.not about wether we in ours minds can do it now.you miss the point the point is can we get rid of a empty area /nothing.before the universe can we do it if ther is nothing in the area what is there to get rid of.
so the question is is nothing a area?
i have said it can be.

something, empty, nothing

These are all words are very ill-defined (mostly, they're defined in terms of each other), and thus mean nothing when strung together, for example:

"a empty area is the same as nothing"

This is just playing with words. Without defining nothing, you cannot claim that it is the same as empty. The same can be applied to most of your other statements.

Since the topic-at-hand is determining if there's nothing there, you can't define it as such then turn around and use your definition as proof. That's circular logic. Word play.
can you imgaine a empty area.it has nothing in it.
your problem lies with understanding nothing as a area .you dont like me using that idea.yet
1 nothing is the absence of everything .(remmeber i am not claiming there is such a place possible,that is not the point here)
2 empty area has nothing in it.
3 so nothing is a empty area.
what is the problem with understanding these 3 points.

since the topic-at-hand is determining if there's nothing there, you can't define it as such then turn around and use your definition as proof. That's circular logic. Word play.
you can not tell me this with out defining nothing yourself.
but you have .but i have made my definition clearer so lets see who,s right.

Last edited:
disregardthat
Science Advisor
the point here is before a universe.not about wether we in ours minds can do it now.you miss the point the point is can we get rid of a empty area /nothing.before the universe can we do it if ther is nothing in the area what is there to get rid of.
so the question is is nothing a area?
i have said it can be.
The issue here is whether our minds can imagine the absence of every conceivable thing. Including space and time. You should try to write more clearly as I have problems understanding what you are saying. This has nothing to do with the actual universe.

well my idea it does.weather our minds can is different idea i dont know who,s right.

the issue here is whether our minds can imagine the absence of every conceivable thing. Including space and time. You should try to write more clearly as I have problems understanding what you are saying. This has nothing to do with the actual universe.
how can our minds get rid of that .there would be a awareness(assuming all else can be stopped). now do you count awareness to be a conceivable thing?.if you do you would have to get rid of that.and then we might as well not envolve humans .cos there would be no experence .

my langauage is trebblie.i really am sorry im very iractic person .

Last edited:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This has degraded into the incomprehensible. I may try to clean up later. The OP was incredibly vague, but there have been many good replies.