Is this a curved or flat space?

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat Space
In summary: If you had the usual metric in spherical coordinates you could show the space is flat by using a coordinate transformation: $$x = r \sin \theta \cos \phi, \ y = r \sin \theta \sin \phi, \ z = r\cos \theta$$ Can you find a similar coordinate transformation that would make the space curved?
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below ...
Relevant Equations
\n
1605955820605.png

I would appreciate if someone check my work:
I tried to simplify the answer a lot: I imagined that, if we have this ds between two points different than the distance that should be if the space was flat, so it would be enough to generalize and say that space is not flat.

So, using this argument, i just analysed when ##\theta, \phi = \pi/2,0##. It would lead us to the ordinary "x" axis on the "xy plane".
So making r = 2, r =1, if the space is plane the distance between this points need to be 1.

##ds = \int_{1}^{2} \frac{r}{(r²+a²)^{1/2}}dr = (4+a²)^{1/2}-(1+a²)^{1/2} \neq 1## if ## a \neq 0##

Since a = 0 would be the ordinary spherical coordinates, the final answer is, yes, it is curved. Is it ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused about what the actual question you're trying to answer is. Whether the metric given describes a flat space?

Office_Shredder said:
I'm a bit confused about what the actual question you're trying to answer is. Whether the metric given describes a flat space?
exact

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: All below ...
Relevant Equations:: \n

View attachment 272874
I would appreciate if someone check my work:
I tried to simplify the answer a lot: I imagined that, if we have this ds between two points different than the distance that should be if the space was flat, so it would be enough to generalize and say that space is not flat.

So, using this argument, i just analysed when ##\theta, \phi = \pi/2,0##. It would lead us to the ordinary "x" axis on the "xy plane".
So making r = 2, r =1, if the space is plane the distance between this points need to be 1.

##ds = \int_{1}^{2} \frac{r}{(r²+a²)^{1/2}}dr = (4+a²)^{1/2}-(1+a²)^{1/2} \neq 1## if ## a \neq 0##

Since a = 0 would be the ordinary spherical coordinates, the final answer is, yes, it is curved. Is it ok?
You need to do more than that. If you did a simple scaling of spherical coordinates, then the distance from ##r=1## to ##r =2## would not be ##1##.

Likes LCSphysicist
PS You may want to check that the first term is not $$\frac{\rho^2}{r^2 + a^2}$$.

PeroK said:
You need to do more than that. If you did a simple scaling of spherical coordinates, then the distance from ##r=1## to ##r =2## would not be ##1##.
At this stage the book don't talk about Gauss and Riemann way to determine if the space is curved or not (if there is, but probably there is, since they are names in this subject). The ways i imagine to see the curvature of the space is by check the area of know nfigures or the volume. I think we could calc the infinitesimal volume in this space and check if it agree with our intuition in flat space. Do you think this is a good approach?

LCSphysicist said:
At this stage the book don't talk about Gauss and Riemann way to determine if the space is curved or not (if there is, but probably there is, since they are names in this subject). The ways i imagine to see the curvature of the space is by check the area of know nfigures or the volume. I think we could calc the infinitesimal volume in this space and check if it agree with our intuition in flat space. Do you think this is a good approach?
That's not going to work, because you don't know what the coordinates represent. I don't know any short cuts.

Is this a exercise from the book or something you decided to do?

LCSphysicist said:
If you don't know how to compute curvature, then it must be flat! If that is true, then you are looking for a coordinate transformation.

Wouldn't it work if you changed coordinates to Euclidean see if you get the standard Id metric tensor ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2##?

WWGD said:
Wouldn't it work if you changed coordinates to Euclidean see if you get the standard Id metric tensor ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2##?
I don't think so. This is the metric in cartesian, the metric in polar coordinates is different but yet is plane, no?

PeroK said:
That's not going to work, because you don't know what the coordinates represent. I don't know any short cuts.

Is this a exercise from the book or something you decided to do?
From a book
PeroK said:
If you don't know how to compute curvature, then it must be flat! If that is true, then you are looking for a coordinate transformation.
I think i don't understand what you mean here.

Last edited:
LCSphysicist said:
I think i don't understand what you mean here.
If you had the usual metric in spherical coordinates you could show the space is flat by using a coordinate transformation: $$x = r \sin \theta \cos \phi, \ y = r \sin \theta \sin \phi, \ z = r\cos \theta$$ Can you find a similar coordinate transformation here to show that this space is flat.

It's logical that if you haven't learned about curvature yet, then this space can't be curved - so it must be flat.

PS I'm still assuming it should be ##r^2 + a^2## in the denominator of the first term.

Last edited:
1605955820605.png
Use pluginology with p2 = r2 +a2cos2Θ. Then, try to manipulate the equation to see if it gives a multiple of the metric tensor in the basis of the spherical coordinates ds2 = dr2+ r22 + r2sin2θdφ2

docnet said:
View attachment 272934Use pluginology with p2 = r2 +a2cos2Θ. Then, try to manipulate the equation to see if it gives a multiple of the metric tensor in the basis of the spherical coordinates ds2 = dr2+ r22 + r2sin2θdφ2
Do you have a solution with ##\rho^2 + a^2## in that first denominator? I think that should be ##r^2 + a^2##.

PeroK said:
Do you have a solution with ##\rho^2 + a^2## in that first denominator? I think that should be ##r^2 + a^2##.

I haven't worked out the solution, but I think you are correct.

Swapping the denominator gives the Kerr metric, in the limit Mass → 0, which becomes a flat space.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 3.54.31 PM.png

1. What is the difference between a curved and flat space?

A curved space is one in which the geometry is not Euclidean, meaning that the angles of a triangle do not add up to 180 degrees. In contrast, a flat space is one that follows Euclidean geometry, where the angles of a triangle do add up to 180 degrees.

2. How can we determine if a space is curved or flat?

One way to determine if a space is curved or flat is through measuring the angles of a triangle. If the angles add up to 180 degrees, then the space is flat. If the angles do not add up to 180 degrees, then the space is curved.

3. What is the significance of a curved or flat space?

The curvature of space has important implications in the field of physics, particularly in the theory of general relativity. It affects the way objects move and interact with each other, and can also impact the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation.

4. Can the curvature of space change?

Yes, the curvature of space can change depending on the distribution of matter and energy within it. This is described by Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which show how the curvature of space is related to the presence of mass and energy.

5. How does the curvature of space affect our daily lives?

The curvature of space has a negligible effect on our daily lives, as the curvature of space around us is very small. However, it is important to understand in order to explain certain phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects like stars and galaxies.