Is this a fair comparison? (Electromagnetic waves)

In summary, The modern view is that electromagnetic waves have mass and momentum, just like other matter does, but the propagation of waves through space is simpler than that of massive objects.
tolove
I remember having great confusion when I first read about electromagnetic waves. I remember being introduced to a historical text about ether when I was a child, and thinking it was an unsolved puzzle. I'd never really been able to shake the question "What does an electromagnetic wave propagate through?"

I was thinking today, though, is it fair to compare a simple particle mass to an electromagnetic wave? No one is confused about Newton's first law when we talk about baseballs and spaceships drifting through space. However, can we simply apply the concept of the first law of motion to electromagnetic waves, and view an electromagnetic wave as a baseball with strange properties?

Or is there a more complicated explanation as to why electromagnetic waves can propagate through space?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is it fair to compare a simple particle mass to an electromagnetic wave?
Compare them in which way? What do you mean with "fair"?
However, can we simply apply the concept of the first law of motion to electromagnetic waves, and view an electromagnetic wave as a baseball with strange properties?
An electromagnetic wave is not a baseball with strange properties, but it has a momentum.
Or is there a more complicated explanation as to why electromagnetic waves can propagate through space?
There is an easier explanation. The Maxwell equations.

mfb said:
Compare them in which way? What do you mean with "fair"?
An electromagnetic wave is not a baseball with strange properties, but it has a momentum.
There is an easier explanation. The Maxwell equations.

By "fair," I mean a conceptual view that is accurate "enough."

If electromagnetic waves have momentum, then they have a mass, and a velocity that cannot change (c)?

Along with the first law, matter will continue on through space unless interrupted, correct?

Is that the solution to the strange concept of why light can travel through a vacuum? It's just a mass like any other, only very small and with strange (quantum) properties.

No. An electromagnetic field has both linear and angular momentum but this doesn't imply it is some kind of matter.

tolove said:
If electromagnetic waves have momentum, then they have a mass
No they have not.
and a velocity that cannot change (c)?
In vacuum, that is right.
Along with the first law, matter will continue on through space unless interrupted, correct?
Sure, if no force acts on an object it will travel in a straight line.
Is that the solution to the strange concept of why light can travel through a vacuum? It's just a mass like any other, only very small and with strange (quantum) properties.
No it is not "a mass". It is not matter either.

However, can we simply apply the concept of the first law of motion to electromagnetic waves, and view an electromagnetic wave as a baseball with strange properties?

Guys above are right. Newton's first law for massive objects as intended and understood before electromagnetic theory has nothing to do with electromagnetic waves.

But I think there is a connection between the two cases, from the modern standpoint. The connection is the law of conservation of momentum. This is valid for combined system matter + EM fields and in special cases also separately both for small bodies (the first Newton law is its special case) and for EM radiation far from source (also special case, when no charged bodies are in sight).

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that does not require a medium to travel through. They are made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light.

What makes a comparison fair?

A fair comparison is one where all variables, except for the ones being compared, are held constant. This ensures that any differences observed between the two variables can be attributed solely to the variables being compared.

How can we determine if a comparison is fair?

To determine if a comparison is fair, we must carefully consider all variables involved and ensure that they are controlled or accounted for. This can involve conducting experiments in a controlled environment or using statistical methods to analyze data.

Can we compare different types of electromagnetic waves?

Yes, we can compare different types of electromagnetic waves as long as the comparison is fair and all other variables are accounted for. This allows for a better understanding of the properties and behaviors of different types of electromagnetic waves.

Why is it important to make fair comparisons when studying electromagnetic waves?

Making fair comparisons is important because it allows us to accurately understand and compare the properties and behaviors of electromagnetic waves. Inaccurate or biased comparisons can lead to false conclusions and hinder our understanding of this important form of energy.