Is this a myth? Pyrmaids replace fridges?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the idea that pyramids could replace fridges is a myth. While there have been some experiments and theories about using pyramid shapes to preserve food or keep it cool, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. Pyramids were built for religious and cultural purposes, not as functional refrigerators. Additionally, modern refrigeration technology far surpasses any potential benefits of using pyramids for preserving food. Therefore, it is safe to say that pyramids do not replace fridges and this is simply a myth.
flyingpig
I heard it when i was little from TV.

Is it true that you can put food into a box in the shape of a pyramid with a sqaure base and it will work like a fridge?

How does it work? Why does it work? Is this true or just really mean hoax?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must try it. I suggest to use piece of meat (or fish - it also smells well) and keep the pyramid in your bedroom.

Let's default to myth until there's any evidence to support it.

Actually, let's default to 'who knows' until we even have some facts about the claim. How big? What material? What configuration? What conditions?

No I mean just a pyramid made of cardboard

A pyramid made of cardboard? I'm going to call myth on this one. If the air temperature is (as it was in London yesterday) 30 degrees how is a cardboard pyramid going to cool to the 4 degrees that my fridge is kept at?

I think it only works for warm food like bananas or last night's left overs. I mean it obviously isn't going to work for ice creams

Just a mean hoax. Unless it is (a) located inside a fridge or (b) located in outer space.

Otherwise it would overturn all of thermodynamics...and revolutionize most of science as well.

Mythbusters tried it, and they came to the conclusion that nope, doesn't work for food, doesn't work for sharpening blades, doesn't work for something else that I can't remember.

Bloodthunder said:
...doesn't work for something else that I can't remember.
Yeah: matter.

:biggrin:

Sometimes memories from when we were a kid are distorted. They seem very real but they are not actually what happened.

LostConjugate said:
Sometimes memories from when we were a kid are distorted. They seem very real but they are not actually what happened.

Art%20Model%20Award.jpg

EDIT: The answer is no. The temperature inside of a pyramid-shaped cardboard box will not significantly differ from ambient temperature as there is no means to overcome entropy. There might be a very small gradient from the bottom of the box to the top of the box given that cooler air is more dense and will tend to settle on the bottom, but even that will equalize over time due to Brownian motion.

Ask yourself the reverse: could you make an oven out of an upside-down pyramid box? And if so, could you make it large enough that the resultant heat would exceed the combustion threshold for the material? And if so, does that mean that you could make a SHAPE that, when properly scaled, is combustible?

Opinion and commentary: I love crazy ideas.

Last edited:
The only thing I could see is that it acts as a bread-box, blocking sunlight and other sources of light that would promote cell growth of fungi/mold/etc exactly as a breadbox does. The shape shouldn't matter, but perhaps people that "tried" this with say, a piece of bread, would notice a drastic increase in shelf life from a piece of bread sitting in the open.

FlexGunship said:
Ask yourself the reverse: could you make an oven out of an upside-down pyramid box? And if so, could you make it large enough that the resultant heat would exceed the combustion threshold for the material? And if so, does that mean that you could make a SHAPE that, when properly scaled, is combustible?

You cannot extrapolate this.

Me, I was imagining some sort of heat sink, placing the bulk of the volume in contact with a convective cooling surface.

Again, if we were to give this its due (which is way more than it deserves), we'd need the details of the claim.

I'm guessing that some comment about the cool interior of a pyramid versus the blistering heat of the desert outside snowballed into the fanciful claim that it's like an air conditioner, and thus capable of keeping food cold.

I won an award guys!

So how do food in the real pyramids store food?

flyingpig said:
I'm detecting an attempt at humour here...

Fire Tetrahedron Dislikes!

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Fire_tetrahedron.svg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.hpb.gov.sg/uploadedImages/HPB_Online/Health_Topics/Food_for_Health/Healthy_eating_-_the_basics/Healthy%20Diet%20Pyramid.jpg

This pyramid seems to be keeping food quite nicely...

Bloodthunder said:
... doesn't work for something else that I can't remember.

Uh ... it was "anything"

DaveC426913 said:

Oh no I was being serious...

Bloodthunder said:
http://www.hpb.gov.sg/uploadedImages/HPB_Online/Health_Topics/Food_for_Health/Healthy_eating_-_the_basics/Healthy%20Diet%20Pyramid.jpg

This pyramid seems to be keeping food quite nicely...

Lol shut up

DaveC426913 said:
You cannot extrapolate this.

Me, I was imagining some sort of heat sink, placing the bulk of the volume in contact with a convective cooling surface.

Again, if we were to give this its due (which is way more than it deserves), we'd need the details of the claim.

Well, I can see where you're coming from, but the original post involved the REPLACEMENT of REFRIGERATORS. This implies an active heat exchange system (as opposed to a heat-sink). A heat-sink will never lower the temperature of something below ambient, but a heat exchanger will.

I appreciate your point, but if there is an actual separation of kinetic energy, then one part gets colder than ambient, and one part gets hotter then ambient. In this way, I could consider a pyramid capable of refrigeration to also be capable of concentrating heat.

The A/C in your car blows cold air on you, in exchange, there is a condenser that's getting very hot under your hood somewhere.

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
Well, I can see where you're coming from, but the original post involved the REPLACEMENT of REFRIGERATORS.
We do not know this. The OP was young.

flyingpig said:

DaveC426913 said:

flyingpig said:
Oh no I was being serious...

No, I prefer to think you were not.

Otherwise I'd have to think you asked a totally nonsensical question. What "real" pyramids store food? And what does that have to do with keeping them cool?

flyingpig said:
I heard it when i was little from TV.

Is it true that you can put food into a box in the shape of a pyramid with a sqaure base and it will work like a fridge?

DaveC426913 said:
We do not know this. The OP was young.

Fair enough. I guess I didn't come to the same realization as everyone else; I was directly addressing the original question.

I just got myself a Pyramid Hat, and I feel smart and cool
http://www.pyramidhats.com/effects.htm

256bits said:
I just got myself a Pyramid Hat, and I feel smart and cool
http://www.pyramidhats.com/effects.htm

Art%20Model%20Award.jpg

2 awards in one single thread now!

Okay, a lid of any reasonable shape may be able to exclude flies and dirt, but degradation due to bacteria, fungii and natural enzymes would begin as soon as the food item approached room temperature ~20'C...

FWIW, I used to know some-one who used a big, skeletal copper-tube pyramid as a meditation hutch. The idea was that it excluded pollution by the radiation from domestic appliances, cell-phone masts etc etc...

She could not understand why I giggled whenever I saw that tubular contraption...

1. Is it true that pyramids were used as refrigerators in ancient times?

There is no evidence to support the claim that pyramids were used as refrigerators in ancient times. This is a popular myth that has been debunked by historians and archaeologists.

2. How could pyramids possibly function as refrigerators?

The theory behind this myth is that the shape and materials used in building pyramids could somehow keep the interior cool. However, this goes against the laws of thermodynamics and there is no evidence to support this claim.

3. Are there any historical records or artifacts that suggest pyramids were used as refrigerators?

No, there are no historical records or artifacts that suggest pyramids were used as refrigerators. In fact, refrigeration technology did not exist in ancient times and was only developed in the 19th century.

4. What were pyramids actually used for if not as refrigerators?

Pyramids were primarily used as tombs for pharaohs and other royal figures in ancient Egypt. They were also used as religious and political symbols, and as centers for administrative and economic activities.

5. Why is the myth of pyramids as refrigerators so widespread?

The myth of pyramids as refrigerators gained popularity in the 19th century when people became fascinated with ancient Egyptian culture. However, it has been perpetuated by misinformation and lack of scientific evidence. It is important to rely on credible sources and scientific evidence when evaluating claims like this.