Is this a real graph or is it made up?

• Thread starter gauss44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a T-shirt design featuring a Feynman diagram and the participants' thoughts on its meaning. The diagram represents a beta decay and there are some inaccuracies in the direction of the arrows. The conversation also touches on the purpose and symbolism of Feynman diagrams in physics.
gauss44
http://ypelletier.wordans.ca/t-shirt/feynman-gildan-homme-man-81965

Is this just a cool design or is it a real physics expression (or something that makes sense)?

I figure it might be something like velocity is converted to work and "e-," and work plus "n" equals pressure, or something...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a feynman diagram. I don't know about them (except what they look like) but I'm pretty sure that is a real diagram. (Although, I don't know what the physics means.)

P.S.
I'm pretty sure the colors are just for the shirt (the colors aren't important to the physics)Edit:
I'm speaking out of ignorance, but:
I think that feynman diagrams are supposed to represent interactions between particles. Beyond that I do not know any details.

Likes 1 person
gauss44 said:
http://ypelletier.wordans.ca/t-shirt/feynman-gildan-homme-man-81965

Is this just a cool design or is it a real physics expression (or something that makes sense)?

I figure it might be something like velocity is converted to work and "e-," and work plus "n" equals pressure, or something...

It's a Feynman diagram of a beta decay (a neutron converts to a proton while emitting a neutrino and an electron), rearranged to fit nicely on the T-shirt.

Nugatory said:
It's a Feynman diagram of a beta decay (a neutron converts to a proton while emitting a neutrino and an electron), rearranged to fit nicely on the T-shirt.

Too bad they couldn't at least point the arrow in the correct direction.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Beta_Negative_Decay.svg

Perhaps it's a nerd test.

"Hey! That should be a positive W-boson. And that should be an anti-electron neutrino. And the arrow implies non-compliance of conservation of charge. Your shirt is not even wrong!"

Wow, thanks everyone. What a neat diagram.

OmCheeto said:
Too bad they couldn't at least point the arrow in the correct direction.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Beta_Negative_Decay.svg

Perhaps it's a nerd test.

"Hey! That should be a positive W-boson. And that should be an anti-electron neutrino. And the arrow implies non-compliance of conservation of charge. Your shirt is not even wrong!"

Yeah, this makes sense, I think. A neutron separates into two particles, +1 proton and -1 electron. The added neutrino's mass might contribute to the electron's mass. By E=MC^2, the negative work, might contribute to the remaining mass needed for the electron.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
gauss44 said:
Yeah, this makes sense, I think. A neutron separates into two particles, +1 proton and -1 electron. The added neutrino's mass might contribute to the electron's mass. By E=MC^2, the negative work, might contribute to the remaining mass needed for the electron.

What do you all think?

Nope. The neutron has greater mass than the proton, the neutrino has negligible mass, and the neutrino is emitted in the reaction (the backwards arrow on the neutrino just indicates that it's an anti-particle instead of a particle). So we start with a neutron, it decays into a lighter proton, the missing mass goes into producing an electron and an anti-neutrino.

It's worth noting that the Feynman diagram is purely symbolic. It doesn't show the geometry of a situation, or what an interaction 'looks like'. Many people seem to treat those diagrams as if they actually do.

447.jpg

1. Is this graph based on actual data or is it fabricated?

This is a valid question to ask when examining a graph. A real graph is based on data collected from experiments or observations, while a made-up graph is created to illustrate a point or support a claim. It is important to verify the source of the data to determine the accuracy of the graph.

2. How can I tell if a graph is real or fake?

A real graph will typically have a clear and concise title, labeled axes, and a legend to explain the data. The data points should also be plotted accurately and consistently. A made-up graph may lack these elements and may appear exaggerated or manipulated to support a particular argument.

3. Are there any red flags to look for when determining if a graph is real?

Yes, there are several red flags to watch out for when examining a graph. These include missing or incomplete data, inconsistent scales on the axes, and distorted or manipulated data points. It is always important to critically evaluate the graph and its source to determine its validity.

4. Can graphs be misleading even if they are based on real data?

Yes, graphs can be misleading even if they are based on real data. This can happen when the data is presented in a biased or selective manner, or when the graph is manipulated to emphasize certain data points over others. It is important to critically analyze the graph and consider the context in which it is presented.

5. How can I avoid being misled by a graph?

To avoid being misled by a graph, it is important to critically evaluate the source of the data, the accuracy of the data points, and the context in which the graph is presented. It is also helpful to seek out additional sources and compare graphs to gain a better understanding of the data. Additionally, understanding basic graphing principles can help you spot potential flaws in a graph.