Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a real graph or is it made up?

1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    http://ypelletier.wordans.ca/t-shirt/feynman-gildan-homme-man-81965

Is this just a cool design or is it a real physics expression (or something that makes sense)?

I figure it might be something like velocity is converted to work and "e-," and work plus "n" equals pressure, or something...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

It's a feynman diagram. I don't know about them (except what they look like) but I'm pretty sure that is a real diagram. (Although, I don't know what the physics means.)

P.S.
    I'm pretty sure the colors are just for the shirt (the colors aren't important to the physics)

Edit:
    I'm speaking out of ignorance, but:
    I think that feynman diagrams are supposed to represent interactions between particles. Beyond that I do not know any details.

4. Jul 17, 2014 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

5. Jul 17, 2014 #4

Nugatory

It's a Feynman diagram of a beta decay (a neutron converts to a proton while emitting a neutrino and an electron), rearranged to fit nicely on the T-shirt.

6. Jul 17, 2014 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Too bad they couldn't at least point the arrow in the correct direction.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Beta_Negative_Decay.svg

Perhaps it's a nerd test.

"Hey! That should be a positive W-boson. And that should be an anti-electron neutrino. And the arrow implies non-compliance of conservation of charge. Your shirt is not even wrong!"

7. Jul 17, 2014 #6
    Wow, thanks everyone. What a neat diagram.

8. Jul 17, 2014 #7
    Yeah, this makes sense, I think. A neutron separates into two particles, +1 proton and -1 electron. The added neutrino's mass might contribute to the electron's mass. By E=MC^2, the negative work, might contribute to the remaining mass needed for the electron.

What do you all think?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  9. Jul 17, 2014 #8

Nugatory

Nope. The neutron has greater mass than the proton, the neutrino has negligible mass, and the neutrino is emitted in the reaction (the backwards arrow on the neutrino just indicates that it's an anti-particle instead of a particle). So we start with a neutron, it decays into a lighter proton, the missing mass goes into producing an electron and an anti-neutrino.

10. Jul 18, 2014 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's worth noting that the Feynman diagram is purely symbolic. It doesn't show the geometry of a situation, or what an interaction 'looks like'. Many people seem to treat those diagrams as if they actually do.

11. Jul 18, 2014 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook