Is this a valid way to simplify complex fractions?

In summary, a complex fraction is a fraction that contains one or more fractions in the numerator, denominator, or both. To simplify a complex fraction, you need to divide the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF) and simplify any remaining fractions. The rules for adding and subtracting complex fractions are the same as regular fractions, and to multiply and divide complex fractions, you can directly multiply or convert them into simple fractions. Complex fractions are commonly used in real-life situations to solve problems involving proportions and rates, and in engineering and science fields to represent complicated equations or ratios.
bobsmith76
step 1. [(3 - (3 + h))/(3(3+h))]/h

step 2. -h/(3(3+h)h

My book says that those steps are valid. I don't see how.

If you want my opinion, I times the numerator (3 - (3 + h))/(3(3+h)) by the inverse of the denominator h/1 which makes:

step 2. -h/(9+3h) * h

step 3. -h/(9+3)

step 4. -h/12

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I figured out what I was doing wrong.

In a simpler format

(a/(2 + 3a)) * a

where a = 3

is not the same as

a/2 + 3

Related to Is this a valid way to simplify complex fractions?

1. What is a complex fraction?

A complex fraction is a fraction that contains one or more fractions in the numerator, denominator, or both. It is also known as a compound fraction.

2. How do you simplify a complex fraction?

To simplify a complex fraction, you need to first divide the numerator and the denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF). Then, you can simplify any remaining fractions until you have a single fraction in the simplest form.

3. What are the rules for adding and subtracting complex fractions?

The rules for adding and subtracting complex fractions are the same as adding and subtracting regular fractions. The denominators must be the same, so you may need to find a common denominator by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the necessary factors.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex fractions?

To multiply complex fractions, you can multiply the numerators and denominators directly, or you can first convert the complex fractions into simple fractions by multiplying the whole numbers by the denominators and adding that to the numerator. To divide complex fractions, you can use the same process but instead of multiplying, you will flip the second fraction and then multiply.

5. How can complex fractions be used in real-life situations?

Complex fractions can be used to solve problems involving proportions and rates, such as calculating the cost of ingredients per serving in a recipe, determining the unit price of an item, or finding the average speed of a moving object. They are also commonly used in engineering and science fields to represent complicated equations or ratios.