Calculating Acceleration of an Elevator with a Suspended Object: Explained

• Thread starter Muteb
  • Start date
In summary: If the net force acts down on the object, then the object is accelerating down.In summary, the tension on a string suspending a 4.0 kg object in an elevator is equal to 44.0 Newton. To find the elevator's acceleration, we can use the equation 44 N - (4.0 kg X 9.8) = a X 4.5. This results in an acceleration of 1.2 m/s^2. The direction of the acceleration depends on the direction of the net force acting on the object.
Muteb
The tension on a string from which?
The tension on a string from which a 4.0 kg object is suspended in an elevator is equal to 44.0 Newton.

What is the acceleration of the elevator?

Is this answer rigth

44 N - (4.0 kg X 9.8) = a (4.5 + 4) I think the 4.5 is mass of elevator and 4 the mass of the object which is suspended.

Acceleration = 0.57 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of the elevator is not important. You are starting in the right direction. (4kg X 9/8 m/s^2) is the normal weight that would produce tension in the string if there were no vertical acceleration. The difference between this tension and the actual tension in the accelerating elevator is due to the elevator's acceleration. Please try writing the equation(s) again, being more careful to separate out the parts...

No, the left side of the equation is right, however, the right side is not. There is no way the mass of the elevator is 4.5, but regardless, that is irrelevant. For this question, you do not need to know the mass of the elevator, just the object suspended from the string.

I can understand that
44 N - (4.0 kg X 9.8) = a X4
a= 1.2 m/s^2
is it ok now

Muteb said:
I can understand that
44 N - (4.0 kg X 9.8) = a X4
a= 1.2 m/s^2
is it ok now

So tell us in your own words why you think that is the right answer.

I think that was not right. because I am asked to find the elevator's acceleration.

Mass of elevator is 44N / 9.8 = 4.5

44 N - (4.0 kg X 9.8) = a X 4.5
a = -1.1 m/s^2

You were right before, now it just seems you are becoming more confused. In this case, when the elevator accelerates, that which is in it, accelerates too.

I am really confused.

44-(4X9.8)= 4 X a
a= 1.2 m/s^2 now I think that right because as you said the elevator has acceleration as the spring.

Yes, that is right, but do you understand why?

Yes because the acceleration of the spring should be the same with the elevator.

is the direction right that the acceleration is +1.2 m/s^2 that means that the elevator accelerates up?

Muteb said:
Yes because the acceleration of the spring should be the same with the elevator.

is the direction right that the acceleration is +1.2 m/s^2 that means that the elevator accelerates up?
Acceleration is always in the direction of the net force.
If the net force acts up on the object, then the object is accelerating up.

FAQ: Calculating Acceleration of an Elevator with a Suspended Object: Explained

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, it is how quickly an object's speed changes. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t.

How does an elevator's acceleration affect a suspended object?

An elevator's acceleration affects a suspended object by causing it to experience a force in the opposite direction of the elevator's acceleration. This force, known as the "pseudo force," is equal in magnitude to the object's mass multiplied by the elevator's acceleration. This can cause the object to appear to be heavier or lighter depending on the direction of the acceleration.

What factors can affect the acceleration of an elevator with a suspended object?

The acceleration of an elevator with a suspended object can be affected by several factors including the mass of the object, the mass of the elevator, the strength of the elevator's motor, and any external forces acting on the elevator. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the acceleration can also be affected by the position of the elevator and the pulley system used to suspend the object.

Why is it important to calculate the acceleration of an elevator with a suspended object?

Calculating the acceleration of an elevator with a suspended object is important for understanding the forces at play and ensuring the safety of the object and passengers. It can also help engineers and scientists design and improve elevator systems for efficiency and comfort.

What are some real-world applications of calculating acceleration in elevators with suspended objects?

Calculating acceleration in elevators with suspended objects has many real-world applications, such as designing and optimizing elevator systems in buildings, amusement park rides, and other transportation systems. It can also be used in physics experiments to study the effects of acceleration on different objects.