Is this equation for acceleration on this website wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake found on a physics website regarding a question about a bus's acceleration and the distance it travels. The correct formula to use is S = ut + 1/2at², and after substituting the values, the correct answer is 3125 m. The mistake was an oversight and the author should be informed to correct it.
Physicsy
Greetings, I've been learning the mathematics of classical physics from a website called "A physiscs teacher" (http://aphysicsteacher.blogspot.com/search/label/acceleration). While looking through the equations on the acceleration i think i found a mistake made by the website.

A bus starts from rest and accelerates at a rate of 2.5 m/s2 for a time of 50 s. Determine the distance traveled by the bus during the acceleration phase.

Now let us identify the different variables involved.

u the initial speed = 0 m/s

t time taken = 50 s

a acceleration = 2.5 m/s2

s distance traveled = ?

If we want calculate s the distance traveled we will have to use the second equation of motion

S = ut + 1/2at2

Substituting the different values we get

S = ut + 1/2at(squared)

= o*50 + 0.5 *50(squared)

= 0 + 0.5*2500

=1250 m

My problem with this question comes in when after the values have been substituated.
= o*50 + 0.5 *50(squared), I am kinda new to the mathematical side of physics but shouldn't the acceleration (2.5) have been substituated in as well to make it
= o*50 + 0.5 *2.5 *50(squared) get an answer of 3125?

Physics news on Phys.org
If
a=2.5 m/s²
t=50s
u=0
then
s = ut + ½at²
s = 0 + ½ x 2.5 x 50²
s = 3125m

Physicsy said:
S = ut + 1/2at(squared)
OK.

= o*50 + 0.5 *50(squared)
Oops!

My problem with this question comes in when after the values have been substituated.
= o*50 + 0.5 *50(squared), I am kinda new to the mathematical side of physics but shouldn't the acceleration (2.5) have been substituated in as well to make it
= o*50 + 0.5 *2.5 *50(squared) get an answer of 3125?
Of course. The webpage goofed in leaving out the acceleration. (It was obviously an oversight.) Send the author an email suggesting that he correct the page! He will appreciate the correction.

Good catch. :wink:

Related to Is this equation for acceleration on this website wrong?

1) What is the equation for acceleration on this website?

The equation for acceleration on this website is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2) How do I know if the equation for acceleration on this website is correct?

You can check the equation for acceleration on this website by comparing it to the standard equation for acceleration, a = ∆v/∆t, and making sure all the variables are correctly represented.

3) Can I use this equation for all types of acceleration, such as constant and variable?

Yes, this equation for acceleration on this website can be used for both constant and variable acceleration, as long as the correct values for vf, vi, and t are used.

4) Is there a specific unit for acceleration in this equation?

Yes, the unit for acceleration in this equation is meters per second squared (m/s²).

5) What should I do if I think the equation for acceleration on this website is wrong?

If you believe the equation for acceleration on this website is incorrect, you can reach out to the website owner or author and provide your reasoning and evidence for why you think it is wrong. They may be able to clarify or correct the equation.