Proving the Cauchy Inequality for Natural Numbers

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the Cauchy inequality for the equation a + \frac{b}{n} = a\sqrt[n]{b} if and only if a=b. The validity of this statement is questioned by a member who presents a counterexample, but it is later fixed by another member who suggests an alternative proof using algebraic manipulation. The conversation concludes with the clarification that both implications of the statement need to be proven.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

I'm working on a Cauchy inequality proof, and I'm at a point where I need to prove:
[itex] a+ \frac{b}{n} = a\sqrt[n]{b} [/itex] iff [itex] a=b [/itex]

Anyway, is it even possible to prove this? If it isn't I need to hurry up and get about another method. If it is possible, I don't mind thinking on it some more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ArcanaNoir! :smile:

This doesn't seem true. Take a=b=n=2, then

[tex]a+\frac{b}{n}=3[/tex]

but

[tex]a\sqrt{n}{b}=2\sqrt{2}[/tex]

and these are certainly not equal. So at least one of the implications fails.

Looking at the graph of

[tex]x+\frac{y}{2}-x\sqrt{y}[/tex]

suggest that the other implication fails as well.

Oh dear.

Okay, I think I fixed it.
[tex] \frac{na+b}{n+1}=\sqrt[n+1]{a^nb} [/tex]

I'm not well versed in proof writing but couldn't you just algebraically show it's true for a=b?

As in:

[tex] \frac{na + a}{n+1} = \sqrt[n+1]{a^na} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{(n+1)a}{n+1} = \sqrt[n+1]{a^{n+1}} [/tex]
[tex] a = a [/tex]

Though this would require that n cannot equal -1, but I think you may already have that restriction.

Clever-Name said:
I'm not well versed in proof writing but couldn't you just algebraically show it's true for a=b?

As in:

[tex] \frac{na + a}{n+1} = \sqrt[n+1]{a^na} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{(n+1)a}{n+1} = \sqrt[n+1]{a^{n+1}} [/tex]
[tex] a = a [/tex]

Though this would require that n cannot equal -1, but I think you may already have that restriction.
This would only prove one implication. This is an if and only if proof, so you have to prove that
[tex]a=b \implies \frac{na + b}{n+1}=\sqrt[n+1]{a^nb} [/tex]
AND
[tex]\frac{na + b}{n+1} = \sqrt[n+1]{a^nb} \implies a=b[/tex]

Last edited:
isn't that what the op wants though? This statement is true iff a=b...

BrianMath is right. It's the second thing I need most, the first part of the biconditional is easy.

A and b are greater than zero and n is a natural number.

1. What does it mean for an equation to be provable?

For an equation to be provable means that there exists a logical proof or series of steps that can be followed to show that the equation is true. This proof relies on the axioms and rules of inference of a specific mathematical system.

2. How can I determine if an equation is provable?

To determine if an equation is provable, you must first understand the axioms and rules of inference of the mathematical system in which the equation is written. Then, you can attempt to construct a logical proof by following these rules. If you are able to successfully prove the equation, then it is considered provable.

3. Is there a specific method or algorithm for proving equations?

Yes, there are specific methods and algorithms for proving equations, such as proof by contradiction or mathematical induction. These methods rely on the logical rules and principles of mathematics, and can be used to construct a proof for an equation.

4. Can an equation be provable in one mathematical system but not in another?

Yes, an equation can be provable in one mathematical system but not in another. This is because different mathematical systems may have different axioms and rules of inference, which can lead to different conclusions about the provability of an equation.

5. Does the length or complexity of an equation affect its provability?

The length or complexity of an equation does not necessarily affect its provability. However, a longer or more complex equation may require a longer or more complex proof to show its provability. It is possible for a shorter or simpler equation to be more difficult to prove than a longer or more complex one.