Is this equation solvable for v?

• B
  • Thread starter Intle
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is trying to solve a physics equation involving a square root and a quadratic. They have tried to isolate a quadratic equation in v by squaring both sides, but are now stuck on how to get the variable v by itself without messing up the other side. They have also asked for tips on how to better write equations using LaTex. Other users have offered guidance and suggested that the individual's equation is already a quadratic in v.
Intle
Hello
I am attempting to solve this equation (a physics project); however, I seem to be getting stuck in a cycle between attempting to undo the square root and then dealing with the resulting quadratic. I have run out of creative solutions to get the variable v by itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F = (m/(1-v2/c2)-1/2) * (v/t-b/t)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By squaring both sides I can isolate a quadratic equation in v but it's huge... Did you try that?

As written the equation looks funny. You have an expression raised to power -1/2 in the denominator. Why not +1/2 in the numerator?

mathman said:
As written the equation looks funny. You have an expression raised to power -1/2 in the denominator. Why not +1/2 in the numerator?
Well you could rearrange the equation to be

F * (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 = m * (v/t - b/t)
but i do not understand how that will really solve anything. If I now square both sides to get rid of square root over (1-v^2/c^2) I now end up with a v^2 -2vb + b^2 on the other side which is an issue because now how do I get the v byitself over here without messing up the other side again. That is the issue I have been happening. by the way, is there a better way to write these equations. I feel as though the way I have been typing this equation in text format may be a bit confusing?

Intle said:

but i do not understand how that will really solve anything. If I now square both sides to get rid of square root over (1-v^2/c^2) I now end up with a v^2 -2vb + b^2 on the other side which is an issue because now how do I get the v byitself over here without messing up the other side again. That is the issue I have been happening. by the way, is there a better way to write these equations. I feel as though the way I have been typing this equation in text format may be a bit confusing?

What's the problem? If you square both sides you get a quadratic in ##v##. The coefficients are a bit messy, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Intle said:

You can use LaTeX to write the equations. Using LaTeX your equation is [tex] F = \frac{m (\frac{v}{t} - \frac{b}{t})}{\sqrt(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})} [/tex] A guide to LaTeX can be found here and here.

Regarding your equation. Squaring it you get: [tex] F^2 = \frac{m^2 (\frac{v^2}{t^2} + \frac{b^2}{t^2} - 2\frac{vb}{t^2})}{(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})} [/tex]

Algebraically manipulating should get you a quadratic in v.

Last edited:
Mastermind01 said:
You can use LaTeX to write the equations. Using LaTeX your equation is [tex] F = \frac{m (\frac{v}{t} - \frac{b}{t})}{\sqrt(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})} [/tex] A guide to LaTeX can be found here and here.

Regarding your equation. Squaring it you get: [tex] F^2 = \frac{m^2 (\frac{v^2}{t^2} + \frac{b^2}{t^2} - 2\frac{vb}{t^2})}{(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})} [/tex]

Algebraically manipulating should get you a quadratic in v.

Okay, thanks for the LaTex guide. Now could you show me how you would algebraically solve it from where you stopped? I still end up getting stuck.

Intle said:
Okay, thanks for the LaTex guide. Now could you show me how you would algebraically solve it from where you stopped? I still end up getting stuck.
Write out the equation at the point you are stuck. To me it is a simple quadratic.

Intle said:

That would be solving the equation for you. Like @mathman said why don't you show us where you're getting stuck?! And we'll help you out.

Mastermind01 said:
That would be solving the equation for you. Like @mathman said why don't you show us where you're getting stuck?! And we'll help you out.
Okay, no problem. I'll bold the variable v.

First I multiply both sides by the denominator 1- v^2/c^2 and distribute the m^2 to get

F^2 -(F^2*v^2)/c^2 = (m^2*v^2)/t^2 + (m^2*b^2)/t^2 - (2*v*b*m^2)/t^2

Now I put all the terms with v on one side.

F^2 -(m^2*b^2)/t^2 = (m^2*v^2)/t^2 + (F^2*v^2)/c^2 - (2*v*b*m^2)/t^2

This is were I get stuck. I can't pull out any like terms , since not all the v are squared I can't pull them out either. This is the point where I'm stuck. I'm probably just overlooking something but I would appreciate it if you could now show me where my error is.

Intle said:
Okay, no problem. I'll bold the variable v.

First I multiply both sides by the denominator 1- v^2/c^2 and distribute the m^2 to get

F^2 -(F^2*v^2)/c^2 = (m^2*v^2)/t^2 + (m^2*b^2)/t^2 - (2*v*b*m^2)/t^2

Now I put all the terms with v on one side.

F^2 -(m^2*b^2)/t^2 = (m^2*v^2)/t^2 + (F^2*v^2)/c^2 - (2*v*b*m^2)/t^2

This is were I get stuck. I can't pull out any like terms , since not all the v are squared I can't pull them out either. This is the point where I'm stuck. I'm probably just overlooking something but I would appreciate it if you could now show me where my error is.

I thought you were aiming at a quadratic? A quadratic in ##v## has terms in both ##v## and ##v^2## plus a constant term. That's what you've got, isn't it? All you have to do is put the two ##v^2## terms together.

What you have is of the form:

##c = a_1 v^2 + a_2 v^2 - bv##

And that's a quadratic.

Likes Mastermind01
PeroK said:
I thought you were aiming at a quadratic? A quadratic in ##v## has terms in both ##v## and ##v^2## plus a constant term. That's what you've got, isn't it? All you have to do is put the two ##v^2## terms together.

What you have is of the form:

##c = a_1 v^2 + a_2 v^2 - bv##

And that's a quadratic.
I was so bent on finding a direct equation I completely missed that solution. Thanks for all the help.

Related to Is this equation solvable for v?

What is the meaning of "solvable" in this context?

"Solvable" refers to the ability to find a solution or solution set for a given equation. In other words, determining the values of the variable(s) that satisfy the equation.

What are the steps to solve an equation for v?

The specific steps to solve an equation for v will depend on the type of equation and the mathematical operations involved. However, some general steps may include isolating the variable v by moving other terms to the other side of the equation, simplifying the equation, and then solving for v using appropriate techniques such as factoring, substitution, or using the quadratic formula.

Can all equations be solved for v?

No, not all equations can be solved for v. Some equations may have no solution or may have an infinite number of solutions. This will depend on the nature of the equation and the given values or constraints.

Are there any specific types of equations that are more easily solvable for v?

Yes, some types of equations may be more easily solvable for v than others. For example, linear equations (involving v to the first power) are generally easier to solve than quadratic equations (involving v to the second power) or higher order equations. Similarly, equations with only one variable are often easier to solve than those with multiple variables.

Why is it important to know if an equation is solvable for v?

Knowing if an equation is solvable for v is important because it allows us to determine the range of possible values for the variable v that satisfy the equation. This can help us understand the behavior of the equation and make predictions or solve real-world problems. It also allows us to check the validity of our solutions and avoid errors in calculations or interpretations.