1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this possible to integrate?

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1
    Please help me integrate the following:

[tex] \int_0^x \frac{1}{\sqrt{(A+Bx^2+Cx^3+Dx^4)}} \,dx [/tex]

I have no idea where to start or if this is even possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I could be obnoxious, and say yes, just pull that big constant outside the integral, but I won't (or maybe I just did). But if you mean for those x's to be replaced by v's, then this integral is generally only possible if you can factor the denominator. Then you would proceed by the method of partial fractions, which you can look up in google to find an easy explanation of.

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3
    maybe it's....

[tex] \frac{x}{\sqrt{(A+Bx^2+Cx^3+Dx^4)}} [/tex]

5. Aug 23, 2006 #4
    You are wrong on both counts, the dv is supposed to be dx :biggrin:

6. Aug 23, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

I thought of that, but then you lose v altogether, which I figured you might want, and plus you'll have to change the limits of integration. It doesn't really matter.

7. Aug 23, 2006 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course it's integrable.

I'm 99.9% sure its not expressible in terms of "elementary" functions, though.

8. Aug 23, 2006 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

Oh, was that square root always there? I must have missed it. Then, yes, no, you can't integrate it in general without resorting to elliptic itegrals and other messy functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?