Is this proof of the uncountablility of the irrationals valid?

• Thread starter serllus reuel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of countable and uncountable infinite sets, using examples of sets of numbers to illustrate the concept. The conversation also mentions Cantor's diagonalization argument for the uncountability of the real numbers. The main point is that just because a set has more elements than a countable infinite set, it does not necessarily mean that the set is uncountable.
serllus reuel
Here is what I have come up with. It seems pretty sound to me, but I have little experience in pure math and want to be sure. (I know the easiest way is to show that R is not countable, Q is, so the irrationals, R-Q, is not, but I was wondering about this proof.)

Consider the following numbers:
... (When numbers of two or more digits are encountered, they repeat in the same way, e.g. in the first number we would have ...99999999910101010101010101010... )

These numbers are irrational, as they are non-repeating infinite decimals. They also form an countably infinite set, as they are infinite but can be listed.

However, for obvious reasons, ∏ is not included. Nor is e, √2, or many other irrationals.
Since the set of the irrationals contains more elements than a countable infinite set, it is uncountable. QED

Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
serllus reuel said:
Here is what I have come up with. It seems pretty sound to me, but I have little experience in pure math and want to be sure. (I know the easiest way is to show that R is not countable, Q is, so the irrationals, R-Q, is not, but I was wondering about this proof.)

... (When numbers of two or more digits are encountered, they repeat in the same way, e.g. in the first number we would have ...99999999910101010101010101010... )

These numbers are irrational, as they are non-repeating infinite decimals. They also form an countably infinite set, as they are infinite but can be listed.

However, for obvious reasons, ∏ is not included. Nor is e, √2, or many other irrationals.
Since the set of the irrationals contains more elements than a countable infinite set, it is uncountable. QED

Thanks for looking.
Just because you have a set that is "larger than" (has more elements than) some countably infinite set, that doesn't mean that the "larger" set is uncountably infinite. Consider the set {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}, which is a countably infinite set. By your reasoning (as I understand it), the set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ...} is uncountably infinite because it has many more (an infinite number, actually) elements that are not also in the first set.

I get the idea that infinite sets can have the same cardinality even if they are of different "sizes", and that is part of my confusion, because I recall that sort of reasoning being employed successfully in other proofs, although probably I am misinterpreting it.

For example, Cantor's diagonalization argument for the uncountablility of the real numbers basically shows that there are more real numbers than the elements of a countable set.

serllus reuel said:
I get the idea that infinite sets can have the same cardinality even if they are of different "sizes", and that is part of my confusion, because I recall that sort of reasoning being employed successfully in other proofs, although probably I am misinterpreting it.

For example, Cantor's diagonalization argument for the uncountablility of the real numbers basically shows that there are more real numbers than the elements of a countable set.

Cantor's diagonal argument starts with ANY countable enumeration of the reals and then proves that must be another real. Your proof starts with a SPECIFIC enumeration of the irrationals and proves there must be another irrational. That's not good enough, as Mark44's example clearly shows. Infinite sets have proper subsets with the same cardinality. You have show that ANY countable list of the irrationals must leave out some irrational. Not just a specific one.

Last edited:
But Cantor's proof is a proof by contradiction where he assumes that the reals are countable. The proof assumes that all of the reals can be placed in a (very long) list. Then, by showing that there is a number that can't possibly be on the list, he arrives at a contradiction.

serllus reuel said:

No, not exactly: it shows that any list (i.e., countable set) must contain a real not on the list. Therefore, you cannot list all of the real numbers. Cardinality arguments are not really part of the demonstration.

serllus reuel said:

Thanks for looking.

If a set of numbers contains "more elements" than a countable infinite set, that doesn't necessarily mean the set is uncountable.

Look at the set of all integers and the set of all even integers. The set of all integers has more elements than the set of all even integers. The set of all even integers is a countable infinite set. The set of all integers is countable not uncountable.

shortydeb said:
If a set of numbers contains "more elements" than a countable infinite set, that doesn't necessarily mean the set is uncountable.

Look at the set of all integers and the set of all even integers. The set of all integers has more elements than the set of all even integers. The set of all even integers is a countable infinite set. The set of all integers is countable not uncountable.

See post #2. This is pretty much what I said.

Related to Is this proof of the uncountablility of the irrationals valid?

What is "uncountability" and how does it relate to the irrationals?

Uncountability refers to the property of a set being infinite and not able to be counted, or put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This concept is relevant to the irrationals because it has been proven that the set of irrational numbers is uncountable.

Can you explain the proof of the uncountability of the irrationals?

The proof of the uncountability of the irrationals was first presented by Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. It involves showing that there is no bijection (one-to-one correspondence) between the set of natural numbers and the set of irrational numbers. This is done by assuming such a bijection exists and then constructing an irrational number that is not included in the bijection, thus proving that the set of irrationals is uncountable.

Is the proof of the uncountability of the irrationals widely accepted among mathematicians?

Yes, the proof of the uncountability of the irrationals is widely accepted and is considered a fundamental result in set theory. It has been extensively studied and validated by mathematicians, and has been used to prove other important theorems in mathematics.

What implications does the uncountability of the irrationals have on our understanding of numbers?

The proof of the uncountability of the irrationals has significant implications on our understanding of numbers. It shows that there are an infinite number of irrational numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This challenges the traditional view of numbers as being solely rational or irrational, and highlights the complexity and infinite nature of the number system.

Are there any practical applications of the uncountability of the irrationals?

The proof of the uncountability of the irrationals has led to further developments in set theory and has been applied in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and measure theory. It also has implications in computer science and cryptography, where the uncountability of the irrationals is used to generate random numbers for secure encryption.