How Do You Calculate the Mass and Number of Atoms in a Substance?

• Thread starter JakePearson
  • Start date
Multiplying by 2 to account for the two kinds of atoms gives a total of 4x1025 atoms. In summary, the substance consists of equal numbers of two kinds of atoms with masses m1 and m2. For (a), the mass of the substance with 2x106 atoms of each kind present is 1x10-19kg. For (b), there are 4x1025 atoms altogether in 1kg of the substance.
JakePearson
questions
A substance consists of equal numbers of tow kinds of atoms, with masses m1 and m2 respectively.
a) what is the mass of the substance is 2x106 atoms of each kind are present, where m1 = 3.4x10-26kg and m2 = 1.6x10-26kg?
answer;
3.4x10-26kg + 1.6x10-26kg = 5x10-26 x 2x106 = 1x10-19kg

b) how many atoms are there altogether (counting both kinds) in 1kg of the substance?
answer;
1kg / 5x10-26kg = 2x1025atoms

is this correct

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) looks good.

For (b), note that 5x10-26kg is the mass of a pair of atoms. So there are 2x1025 pairs of atoms.

?

Yes, your calculations are correct. In part a), you correctly calculated the mass of the substance when 2x106 atoms of each kind are present. In part b), you correctly calculated the number of atoms in 1kg of the substance by dividing the given mass by the mass of each atom. Your answer shows that there are a very large number of atoms in 1kg of the substance, which is expected since 1kg is a significant amount of matter.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Mass and Number of Atoms in a Substance?

1. Is this experiment set up correctly?

It is important to carefully follow the instructions and protocols for setting up an experiment. Double check all materials and procedures to ensure accuracy and precision.

2. Am I using the correct equipment for this procedure?

Using the correct equipment is crucial for obtaining accurate and reliable results. Make sure to consult the experiment instructions or your supervisor to confirm the appropriate equipment to use.

3. How do I know if my results are accurate?

To determine the accuracy of your results, you can compare them to previous studies or perform multiple trials of the experiment. You can also consult with other scientists or your supervisor for their input.

4. What can I do if I encounter unexpected results?

If your results are not what you expected, try to identify any possible sources of error in your experiment. You can also consult with other scientists or perform additional experiments to further investigate the unexpected results.

5. Is there a specific format for reporting my findings?

Most scientific journals have specific guidelines for reporting findings, including the use of standardized formats for data tables and graphs. It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure your findings are effectively communicated to the scientific community.

Back