Center of Mass Calculation for a Club-Axe: How Far from the Handle is the COM?

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the position of the center of mass of a club-axe, which consists of a 23.0 kg stone and a 2.8 kg stick. The handle has a length of 91.0 cm and the stone is 13.0 cm. The center of mass equation was used, but the incorrect values were used for the lengths of the handle and stone. The correct answer is 91.9 cm.
michaeltozer13

Homework Statement

A club-axe consists of a symmetrical 23.0 kg stone attached to the end of a uniform 2.8 kg stick. The length of the handle is L1=91.0m and the length of the stone is L2=13.0cm. How far is the center of mass from the handle end of the club?

Homework Equations

Center of mass equation: COM=x1m1+x2m2/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

so for my attempt i kept the lengths in cm, and my equation looks like this COM=(91.0x2.8)+(104x23.0)/(2.8+23.0).

The answer I am getting is 101.59 cm, which is wrong. The correct answer is 91.9cm. Any help??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
x1 isn't the length of the handle: it's the position of the center of gravity of the handle !
Likewise, x2 isn't the end of the stone but the x coordinate of the center of mass of the stone.

I do hope the glue at the end of the handle is strong enough :)

welcome to the world of PF !

michaeltozer13 said:
COM=(91.0x2.8)+(104x23.0)/(2.8+23.0).
I assume you mean ((91.0x2.8)+(104x23.0))/(2.8+23.0) (parentheses matter!)
That would be right if all of the mass of the stick were at 91cm from the end, all the mass of the stone at 104cm from the end. But they're not.

michaeltozer13 said:
The length of the handle is L1=91.0m
That's a very long handle!

I would first make sure that all the units are consistent. In this case, the lengths should be in meters, not centimeters. So the length of the handle should be 0.91 m and the length of the stone should be 0.13 m.

Next, I would double check the equation used for calculating the center of mass. The correct equation is COM = (x1m1 + x2m2) / (m1 + m2), where x1 and x2 are the distances from the center of mass to the respective masses m1 and m2. In this case, x1 would be 0.91 m and x2 would be 0.13 m.

Plugging in the correct values, we get COM = (0.91*2.8 + 0.13*23) / (2.8 + 23) = 0.919 m = 91.9 cm, which matches the given answer.

In conclusion, it is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equation when solving scientific problems.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system or object that acts as the average location of all the mass in the system. It is the point where the object would balance if suspended.

Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps determine the overall behavior and stability of a system or object. It can also be used to calculate the motion of the system or object under the influence of external forces.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the sum of all the individual masses in the system or object and dividing it by the total mass. It can also be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual masses.

Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape or distribution of mass. In this case, the center of mass would not be a physical point within the object.

How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The center of mass affects an object's stability by determining how easily the object can be tipped or rotated. Objects with a lower center of mass are more stable, while objects with a higher center of mass may be more prone to tipping over.