1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this schedule doable?

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    I will be taking calc 3, physics 2(calc based), modern physics and thermo, and a history class. Is this doable or too many physics courses. I feel like I can handle it. And btw my school is ranked 30ish in physics and 60ish overall. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2
    I don't see how you can do modern physics at the same time as physics 2 which I am assuming is intro freshman E&M? Isn't physics 2 a prerequisite for modern physics?

Do you go to GATech if I may ask?

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3
    No I do not. You can take the concurrently and I plan on studying for physics 2 over the summer, so in a way the course will be a review for me.

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Four physics/math courses and one elective is fairly standard for a serious physics major. Other than the potential sequence issue Hercueflea brought up there is no reason you can't do that.

6. Jan 29, 2014 #5
    Is "modern physics and thermo" two separate classes? I would be shocked if they were not.

Depending on the thermo book you will be using and the nature of the course (statistical mech vs. Traditional thermo) this could be the real killer in my opinion.

7. Jan 29, 2014 #6
    Doable depends on the person. Also, not all physics majors take 4 physics classes per semester - some of my friends take 2-3 per semester so that they can concentrate on what they're doing. I did four physics classes one semester (a grad class, quantum, EM and a quantum elective) as well as a history class, and I was pretty burned out. If you thrive on only doing physics classes though, it might be the perfect schedule!

8. Jan 29, 2014 #7
    The course is modern and thermo two separate books. But I believe the thermo is only 4 chapters.

9. Jan 29, 2014 #8
    There is a thermal and statistical class I believe that goes way more in detail. I also plan to buy the books early and study them over the summer, so I won't have a hard time.

10. Jan 31, 2014 #9
    Is this necessary? Course work is a distraction in my view short of the core courses; better to concentrate on research if possible. Otherwise if you need all of these courses and can't take them later, take them now.

The only caveat is if you want to explore an outside subject, in which case a course is a good choice.

11. Jan 31, 2014 #10
    I need to take these courses and I believe for undergraduate course grade are more important and research can be done in the summer. I prefer to do research obviously, but I'm not going to neglect course load.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook