Can I handle this intense schedule of physics and history courses?

• Thread starter epislon58
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, you can take four physics/math courses and one elective at GATech, but it might be too many courses for someone who wants to focus on research.
epislon58
I will be taking calc 3, physics 2(calc based), modern physics and thermo, and a history class. Is this doable or too many physics courses. I feel like I can handle it. And btw my school is ranked 30ish in physics and 60ish overall. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you can do modern physics at the same time as physics 2 which I am assuming is intro freshman E&M? Isn't physics 2 a prerequisite for modern physics?

Do you go to GATech if I may ask?

No I do not. You can take the concurrently and I plan on studying for physics 2 over the summer, so in a way the course will be a review for me.

Four physics/math courses and one elective is fairly standard for a serious physics major. Other than the potential sequence issue Hercueflea brought up there is no reason you can't do that.

Is "modern physics and thermo" two separate classes? I would be shocked if they were not.

Depending on the thermo book you will be using and the nature of the course (statistical mech vs. Traditional thermo) this could be the real killer in my opinion.

Doable depends on the person. Also, not all physics majors take 4 physics classes per semester - some of my friends take 2-3 per semester so that they can concentrate on what they're doing. I did four physics classes one semester (a grad class, quantum, EM and a quantum elective) as well as a history class, and I was pretty burned out. If you thrive on only doing physics classes though, it might be the perfect schedule!

The course is modern and thermo two separate books. But I believe the thermo is only 4 chapters.

There is a thermal and statistical class I believe that goes way more in detail. I also plan to buy the books early and study them over the summer, so I won't have a hard time.

Is this necessary? Course work is a distraction in my view short of the core courses; better to concentrate on research if possible. Otherwise if you need all of these courses and can't take them later, take them now.

The only caveat is if you want to explore an outside subject, in which case a course is a good choice.

I need to take these courses and I believe for undergraduate course grade are more important and research can be done in the summer. I prefer to do research obviously, but I'm not going to neglect course load.

FAQ: Can I handle this intense schedule of physics and history courses?

1. Can this schedule realistically be completed?

It depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the tasks, the resources available, and the efficiency of the team. A thorough evaluation and analysis will be needed to determine the feasibility of the schedule.

2. What happens if the schedule is not met?

If the schedule is not met, it is important to reassess and identify the reasons for the delay. Adjustments can be made to the schedule to accommodate any unforeseen circumstances. It is crucial to communicate any changes to stakeholders and adjust expectations accordingly.

3. How can we ensure that the schedule remains on track?

Regular check-ins and updates, as well as setting specific milestones and deadlines, can help to monitor progress and keep the schedule on track. It is also important to address any potential roadblocks or issues as they arise to prevent delays.

4. Is it better to have a more flexible or strict schedule?

It depends on the project and the team's working style. A more flexible schedule allows for unexpected changes or delays, but a strict schedule can help to maintain a sense of urgency and accountability. It is essential to find a balance that works best for the project and team.

5. Can the schedule be adjusted if necessary?

Yes, the schedule can be adjusted if necessary. However, it is important to communicate any changes to stakeholders and consider the impact on other tasks and deadlines. Flexibility and adaptability are key in ensuring a successful and doable schedule.