1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this sequence divergent or convergent?

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find out whether or not this sequence diverges or converges. If it converges, then what's the limit.
    {4+sin(1/2*pi*n)}

3. The attempt at a solution
    This one is a bit confusing to me since sin oscillates between 1 and -1. So if you plug in (pi*infinity)/2, that would go back and forth. So does that mean that the limit does not exist?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the limit does exist, what could it be?

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3
    Would the limit be 5 since sin(pi\2) is 1?

5. Nov 7, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How many different values does the sequence have?

6. Nov 7, 2015 #5
    Oh, so because it oscillates between -1 and 1, then the limit is from 3 to 5?

7. Nov 7, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can only have one limit (at most)! The sequence takes only three values: 3, 4 and 5. Do you just have to work out what the limit is (if it exists), or do you have to prove it?

8. Nov 7, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to review the basics: what is the definition of a limit? Does your sequence have the required properties?

9. Nov 7, 2015 #8
    Ok, I think I've got it. It does not exist, since the sequence oscillates between 5, 4, and 3. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted