Is A equivalent to B in propositional calculus?

• Thread starter rustynail
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is learning propositional calculus and is seeking clarification on the notation used to express the idea that sets A and B are equivalent. They question whether their statement correctly shows three equally valid ways of saying that A and B are the same set. The conversation then delves into the concept of equivalence and the use of "iff" to represent it. The individual clarifies that they mean "equivalent under the relation of equality" as in "A and B are the same object" and that A and B share not only the same cardinality, but also the same elements. They also mention looking at the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms for further understanding.
rustynail
I am starting to learn propositional calculus and am trying to make sense of the notation. I am trying to express the idea that sets A and B are equivalent. I want to know if the following statement is true and if it shows three equally valid ways of saying that A and B are the same set.

gif.gif

Thank you for your time. Any help and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Edit : Looking back at it, I think the first part does not imply that there are no elements of B that are not also in A. It does not eliminate the possibility that A is a subset of B. Should I write :

gif.gif

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a more direct way would be : ## x \in A ## iff ## x \in B ##.

Bacle2 said:
Maybe a more direct way would be : ## x \in A ## iff ## x \in B ##.
Doesn't that only say that all elements of A are also elements of B, making A a subset of B, and not necessarily equivalent to B? Or does using ''iff'' imply that ## x \in B ## iff ## x \in A ## ?
Also, I understand that the way I put it isn't the most direct way of doing it, but I want to know if my usage of these symbols and operators makes sense.

Thank you for your time.

If you move the negations inside of
rustynail said:
gif.gif
?
you get the axiom of extensionality of Zermelo-Fraenkel. That is, this "iff" is valid.
But it is unclear what you mean by "equivalent". Equivalence requires a relation. Do you mean "equivalent under the relation of equality"? Then that "iff" would be (trivially) valid. But if you mean, say, equinumerability as your equivalence relation, then the implication only goes in one direction. So, what do you mean by "equivalent"?

nomadreid said:
If you move the negations inside of

you get the axiom of extensionality of Zermelo-Fraenkel. That is, this "iff" is valid.
But it is unclear what you mean by "equivalent". Equivalence requires a relation. Do you mean "equivalent under the relation of equality"? Then that "iff" would be (trivially) valid. But if you mean, say, equinumerability as your equivalence relation, then the implication only goes in one direction. So, what do you mean by "equ.ivalent"?

I mean ''equivalent under the relation of equality'' as in ''A and B are the same object''. Because A and B share not only the same cardinality, but also the same elements.
So if A = {p, q, r, t}, then B = {p, q, r, t} also, and thus A=B.

Edit : I'm currently looking at the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms. That's very helpful, thank you!

Last edited:

1. Is there a way to prove that a statement is definitely true?

As a scientist, I must say that it is very difficult to prove anything with 100% certainty. However, through rigorous testing, experimentation, and evidence-based reasoning, we can come to a high level of confidence in the truthfulness of a statement.

2. Can a statement be true for some people but not for others?

Yes, it is possible for a statement to be true for some people but not for others. This can be due to differences in perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. It is important to consider multiple viewpoints and contexts when evaluating the truthfulness of a statement.

3. Is it possible for a statement to be true now but not in the future?

Yes, the truthfulness of a statement can change over time as new information and evidence emerge. This is why the scientific community is constantly conducting research and updating our understanding of the world.

4. How do you determine if a statement is true or not?

As a scientist, I use the scientific method to evaluate the truthfulness of a statement. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing experiments to test the hypothesis, and analyzing the results. If the results support the hypothesis, then we can consider the statement as true, at least for the current understanding of the subject.

5. Can a statement be partially true and partially false?

Yes, a statement can be partially true and partially false. This is often the case with complex and nuanced topics. It is important to critically evaluate each component of a statement and determine the level of truthfulness for each part.