Defining things in logical statements

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, that is correct. A proposal in logic should be a statement that can be either true or false, depending on the values of the variables. In your example, "for all x there exists a y such that x + y = 1" is a valid proposal because it can be either true or false depending on the values of x and y.
V0ODO0CH1LD
Is the following a valid logical proposition?

Proposition: If ##\mathcal{S}## is a collection of subsets of ##X## that covers ##X## then the collection ##\mathcal{B}## of all finite intersections of elements of ##\mathcal{S}## is a basis for a topology on ##X##.

Firstly, when I state a proposition, is it implied that what I mean is "proposition: it is true that if ... then ..."? if not, what does it mean to propose an implication?

Anyway, I ask if the above is a valid logical proposition because the second statement in that implication is not defined on its own, it needs the first statement since ##\mathcal{S}## is defined as a collection of subsets of ##X## only on the first statement. Would ##\mathcal{S}## qualify as a free variable? In which case the proposition is not a logical proposition in classical logic?

I guess my question could be generalized to: in classical logic, if I propose that ##x\rightarrow y##, is it a convention that what I am proposing is that ##x\rightarrow y=1##, and also, could I make that proposition if ##y## only makes sense if ##x## is true?

NOTE: The topology example is only an example to help me illustrate my question, it is not the actual question.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two formulas, which take [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal S[/itex] as parameters.
- [itex]\Phi(X,\mathcal S)[/itex], which says that [itex]\mathcal S \subseteq 2^X[/itex] and [itex]\bigcup\mathcal S = X[/itex].
- [itex]\Psi(X,\mathcal S)[/itex], which says that [itex]\left\{\bigcap\mathcal F: \enspace \mathcal F \subseteq\mathcal S \text{ is finite} \right\}[/itex] is a basis for a topology on [itex]X[/itex].

The proposition says "[itex]\Phi(X, \mathcal S)\implies \Psi(X, \mathcal S)[/itex]", which (as you noted) reads as a formula with free variables [itex](X, \mathcal S)[/itex]. That said, it's very common that when people write the proposition [tex]\Phi(X, \mathcal S)\implies \Psi(X, \mathcal S)[/tex] (with the variables having no specific prior meaning), what they really mean is [tex]\forall X, \forall \mathcal S \left[\Phi(X, \mathcal S)\implies \Psi(X, \mathcal S)\right][/tex] which is in turn a shorthand for [itex]\forall X, \forall \mathcal S \neg\left[\Phi(X, \mathcal S)\wedge \neg \Psi(X, \mathcal S)\right][/itex].

I think I don't know what a free variable in logic is then. I though a free variable in a logic statement was not allowed since it could render the statement "unknown". I still feel, even in your optimized way of stating that proposition, that in ## \Psi(X,\mathcal{S}) ## the variable ## S ## is not even defined, so ##\mathcal F \subseteq\mathcal S## makes no sense at all.

Another question; to prove this proposition, the route taken is usually to assume that ## \Phi(X,\mathcal{S}) ## is true, and given that show that ## \Psi(X,\mathcal{S}) ## is also true. Although an implication is still true if the first statement is false. My question is, when in a math textbook the author writes "proposition: ## A\implies B ##", does he mean "##A=1##, proposition: ## A\implies B=1 ##"?

And also, is it okay to define a variable in ##A## and then use it in ##B##?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I think I don't know what a free variable in logic is then. I though a free variable in a logic statement was not allowed since it could render the statement "unknown".

Common mathematical writing and correct logical statements are two different things. If someone says "if x is greater than 0 then 2x is greater than 0", he has technically not said whether he means to modify x by "for each number x" or "there exists a number x", but the normal "cultural" interpretation of such a statement is that the quantifier "for each number x" is to be applied to x.

Okay, let me ask a few question to see if I can clarify this in my head.

A proposal, like a theorem, can proven or disproven.

Strictly speaking, proposing what is called a formula in logic doesn't make any sense. Like "I propose that x + y = 1", makes no sense as a proposal because it's true for some values of x and y and untrue for others. But "I propose that for all x there exists a y such that x + y = 1", is a valid proposal since it can be reduce to true or false. Right?

Related to Defining things in logical statements

1. What is the purpose of defining things in logical statements?

The purpose of defining things in logical statements is to create precise and unambiguous descriptions of objects, concepts, or ideas. This helps us to better understand and communicate about these things in a clear and organized manner.

2. How do you define something in a logical statement?

To define something in a logical statement, you must first identify the key characteristics or properties of the thing you are defining. Then, you can use logical operators such as "and", "or", and "not" to combine these characteristics into a single statement that accurately describes the thing.

3. Why is it important to use logical statements when defining things?

Using logical statements when defining things is important because it allows for precision and consistency in our definitions. This helps to avoid confusion and ensures that everyone has the same understanding of the thing being defined.

4. What are some examples of logical statements used to define things?

Examples of logical statements used to define things include: "A square is a shape with four sides of equal length and four right angles", "A mammal is an animal that has hair, gives birth to live young, and produces milk to feed its young", and "Love is an emotion characterized by strong feelings of affection and attachment towards someone or something."

5. How can logical statements be useful in scientific research?

Logical statements can be very useful in scientific research as they provide a structured and systematic way to define and describe objects, concepts, and phenomena. This can help researchers to create clear and testable hypotheses, accurately communicate their findings, and make logical conclusions based on their observations and data.