Is this the simplest optical cloak possible?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
You could always write them and ask them, but I suspect the answer was simplicity. It's obvious how to do this with 4, and 4 breaks down to 2+2 so you can test half of it easily. It probably can be done with 3, but not so easily - the middle pice has to be just right: you need to make sure every ray spends an equal time in air and water, and that all the angles work out.

Klystron
Gold Member
Page 3 of the paper could use a fourth picture between pictures (1) background only and (2) 14 cm model that shows (2') background with device sans giraffe. Selection of background with hazy patterns and the large central tree figure directly behind the giraffe appear forced; designed to assist the illusion of continuity. The inexpensive nature of the device is intriguing.

Agree with simplicity as the answer to the OP. Minimal configuration that works ( and costs least).

Last edited:
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I see the diagrams are 2 dimensional. Would it work in all planes? Prob some distortion.
I'm amazed that the idea could be 'new',

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I'm amazed that the idea could be 'new',
It's been done with reflection for decades (centuries) by stage magicians. As they say "it's all done with mirrors".

Likes Klystron and sophiecentaur