Uncovering the Mystery of Time: Examining Theories in Modern Physics

In summary, the conversation explores the idea of whether time is quantized or continuous, and whether recent research or theories have shed light on this concept. While there are theories that suggest a quantization of time, they have not yet been verified and the current understanding is that time is continuous.
yoran
Hi,

Lately I was wondering whether or not time is also "quantized". By that I mean that, is time something continuous or more like something discrete, i.e does there exist an indivisible entity of time? I know that energy (or, equivalently matter) is quantized. Maybe time is as well? That we see our world just like a camera, but instead of a refreshing rate of 60 times a second, it is refreshed ten thousand billion times a second (just for example).
I'm not a professional physicist, and I know that time is something that is not well understood. I was just wondering if any recent research or recently developed theories allows us to understand time better. You guys probably know more about what's going on in the world of physics research. What are the main theories about time?

Thank you.

Yoran

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know very much about this subject, but the theory exists that on small enough distance scales (< Planck length) spacetime becomes "granular" and it just looks smooth from "far away". Not sure whether that is a generally accepted idea and if it is relevant to your question though...

yoran said:
Hi,

Lately I was wondering whether or not time is also "quantized". By that I mean that, is time something continuous or more like something discrete, i.e does there exist an indivisible entity of time? I know that energy (or, equivalently matter) is quantized. Maybe time is as well? That we see our world just like a camera, but instead of a refreshing rate of 60 times a second, it is refreshed ten thousand billion times a second (just for example).
I'm not a professional physicist, and I know that time is something that is not well understood. I was just wondering if any recent research or recently developed theories allows us to understand time better. You guys probably know more about what's going on in the world of physics research. What are the main theories about time?

Thank you.

Yoran

If you're asking whether we have already established that time is quantized the same way we have established other quantizations in quantum mechanics, the quick answer is no.

While there may be theories floating around that imply quantization of time, these aren't verified yet and at this point, may be a long ways away from being verified. Until they are verified, we will go with what we know now.

Zz.

"Is time also quantized?"

The word "also" seems unjustified. There is no fundamental discrete amount of energy. Free particles, moving as wave packets, have continuous spectrum of energy. The energy quantization occurs only in certain kind of potentials, and then the allowed energy states depend on the potential. Furthermore, the spatial space is not quantized either to be anything discrete in the usual formulation of QM. It is still the mathematical [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], that has so far proven to be (locally) the best approximation to our real physical space.

Last edited:

Related to Uncovering the Mystery of Time: Examining Theories in Modern Physics

What is the concept of time in modern physics?

In modern physics, time is considered to be a fundamental dimension in which events occur. It is also seen as a relative quantity, meaning that the perception of time can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

What are some of the theories that attempt to explain the nature of time?

Some of the theories in modern physics that attempt to explain the nature of time include the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, and the arrow of time theory.

How does the theory of relativity explain time?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that time and space are interwoven and can be distorted by gravity and the relative motion of objects. It also suggests that time is not absolute and can be experienced differently by observers in different frames of reference.

What is the significance of the arrow of time theory?

The arrow of time theory attempts to explain the directionality of time, which is the idea that time only moves forward and not backward. It also explores the concept of entropy, which is the measure of disorder in a system, and how it affects the flow of time.

Can time travel be possible according to modern physics?

There are theories in modern physics that suggest the possibility of time travel, such as the theory of relativity and the concept of wormholes. However, the feasibility of actual time travel is still a subject of debate among scientists and has not been proven to be possible.