Is u=qv or u=0.5qv the correct equation for finding potential energy?

• Thread starter sonutulsiani
  • Start date
We can count energy in a capacitor by using this eqn. so this eqn is "correct" if you want to count energy in a capacitor.In summary, there are two different equations for finding potential energy, depending on the context. For calculating the work done to move a charge between two points, the equation u=qv is used. However, for calculating the energy stored in a configuration of point charges, the equation u=0.5qv is used. Both equations are correct, but they serve different purposes.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

Ok I am really confused!
Sometimes we use u=qv to find the potential energy
and sometimes u=0.5qv
Which one is correct?

Homework Equations

u= electro static potential energy
v= voltage
q is charge

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That question is very vague. You will have to be more specific of the problem.

U=qV is used for a charge (q) in an electrostatic potential (V). "U" is then the electric potential energy the charge has in that field.

I am not sure about U= 0.5qV, since that is very vague. If you can give an example where it is used, then you might be able to narrow it down.

like for energy in a capacitor its used

The energy stored in a capacitor is very different than a single point charge in an electric field. The energy stored in a capacitor is actually an integral over many infinitesmal point charges, dq. Since it is a sum, you can't expect it to look like qV.

Apparently my textbook writes potential energy of 2 point charges is u=qv
and electrostatic potential energy is u=1/2qv. What is the difference between them other than the word 'electrostatic'

Electrostatic just means the electric field isn't changing with time. So you can use it interchangeably with electric for most of your cases. You can say the electrostatic potential energy of 2 point charges is U = qV, since there is no time dependence that would cause magnetic fields.

For your U = 1/2 qV, you must be reading about capacitance and the stored energy in the electric field of the charges. They are both different, and shouldn't get them too confused from a question you might be asked.

u = q v is for electrical potential energy
for those who gave the example of capacitors:
u = 0.5 c v^2

sonutulsiani said:

Homework Statement

Ok I am really confused!
Sometimes we use u=qv to find the potential energy
and sometimes u=0.5qv
Which one is correct?

I will try to sharp two eqn above based on common textbook,

1) [tex]W = q . [V(a) - V(b)][/tex]

this eqn tells us for the work done to move a charge from point (a) to point (b). V here means potential difference between points (a) and (b).

2) [tex]W = \frac{1}{2}\Sigma^{n}_{i=1} q_i V(r_i)[/tex]

this eqn tells about work it takes to assemble a configuration of point charge. so W here represents energy stored in the configuration. factor 1/2 here is used to restore the eqn that initially count twice. (if you confused what I mean, you can check for yourself the derivation of this eqn). this eqn is more about the energy of a point charge distribution.

1. What does the equation U=qv represent?

The equation U=qv represents the potential energy of a charged particle in a uniform electric field. U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

2. What is the significance of the constant 0.5 in the equation u=0.5qv?

The constant 0.5 in the equation u=0.5qv is a result of the integration of the force experienced by a charged particle in a uniform electric field. It represents the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy for a charged particle in an electric field.

3. How is the equation U=qv used in scientific research?

The equation U=qv is used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. It is particularly useful in calculating the potential energy of charged particles in various systems, such as in particle accelerators and electronic circuits.

4. Can the equation U=qv be applied to all types of electric fields?

Yes, the equation U=qv can be applied to any type of electric field, as long as the field is uniform. In non-uniform fields, the equation becomes more complex and may require additional terms to accurately calculate potential energy.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation U=qv?

The equation U=qv is a simplification of the more complex equation for potential energy in electric fields. It is only accurate for charged particles with negligible mass, and it does not take into account relativistic effects. Additionally, the equation assumes a constant electric field, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.